Sledge Hammer

This is a general discussion forum for most topics related to Canada's Wonderland, located in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
admmerWonderland
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Sledge Hammer

Postby admmerWonderland » 15 May 2011, 20:19

I'm just wondering what is the scoop on Sledgehammer this year. It was broken all the way back in 08 and there's been problems ever since. Does anyone know if it is going to be back up this year for once!? Is Wonderland working on fixing it? I heard something about it needs a new part?
Top 5 Coasters:

1. Top Thrill Dragster
2. Maverick
3. Behemoth
4. Millenium Force
5. Raptor

moneyhead64
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Re: Sledge Hammer

Postby moneyhead64 » 15 May 2011, 23:50

On Saturday, I saw Sledgehammer go up once (as part of testing). It was spinning pretty slowly (not the chairs-only the tower part). I only saw this once during the entire day. Later during the day, there were 3 workers doing something to one of the rotating chairs. It looked as if they were just cleaning it, though, from my view.

coasterboy
Admin
Admin

Postby coasterboy » 16 May 2011, 01:05

Here are a few shots of Sledgehammer from Media Day 2011. The park told us that they were working hard to have it open this season, but didn't give us a date.

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 16 May 2011, 11:14

As of Saturday, all the equipment was out of that area and everything looked like it was ready to start testing again. The park has confirmed that they are working to get it up and running again.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

admmerWonderland
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby admmerWonderland » 16 May 2011, 22:20

Thanks! Great to hear!
Top 5 Coasters:

1. Top Thrill Dragster
2. Maverick
3. Behemoth
4. Millenium Force
5. Raptor

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Duck » 16 May 2011, 22:51

Excellent news!

Those steel frames you saw supporting the centre of each gondola/arm keep the seats off the ground when the linkages are removed for servicing. There is a small hydraulic pump-jack on the top so they can accurately line up the link with the hole in the lifting crown (the large grey piece which raises the arms) to get the pin back in.

-Iain
I've ridden 451 different coasters around the world.

Texas Twister
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Texas Twister » 16 May 2011, 23:22

yeah,on a side note i work for a company that distributes bearings for Timken; you wouldnt believe the size of the bearings this badboy uses. we have have two of the main ones on hand at all times as request by canadas wonderland!!! I will try and post pics

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 17 May 2011, 10:39

At least the park is being proactive by having extra parts available just in case.
-Walt Disney

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Duck » 17 May 2011, 12:52

Yeah - it's not a HUSS-specific issue... tons of items are long-lead. I work in machinery design and whenever we kick-off a new project, there's a list of stuff that we have to get on order right-away that might take 6 or 8 weeks to get. It's just how it is. We tell our customers to keep a spare of certain things in case one breaks, so they won't be down for that long.

I see on other forums people ripping on certain manufacturers all the time, when it's not their fault at all. A slewing ring (the big bearings Texas Twister is referring to) can take months to get after placing an order. We've had one on order since October 2010 and are expecting it in July 2011!

-Iain

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 17 May 2011, 13:40

I think it's unfortunate that people take things out on the wrong individuals. A lot of that just comes from a lack of knowledge. Although the posting at Dollywood doesn't look so great on Huss...

http://www.screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm

When you see the same ride down for so long you tend to look at the manufacturer, not the people supplying parts to them.
-Walt Disney

Shockwave18
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Shockwave18 » 22 May 2011, 04:00

I was at the park today and they were testing it pretty much all day, but at one point when we were standing in line for Behemoth it started making this horribly loud sound, like steel grinding together. This happened after the gondolas would drop and continue rotating, and would only last a second. Then they would make it jump again (the same routine of the last few years), and once it reached the bottom after a second it would do it again. I've never heard it make such a noise before.
We move in circles, balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge. A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. The story ends where it began.

imperialconqueror
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby imperialconqueror » 22 May 2011, 05:18

Indeed. My brother heard it and didn't know what it was or where it was coming from. Puzzled, he told me while we were leaving the smoking area beside swing of the century that he thought he heard a fog horn lol. As we went by sledge hammer we both heard it, he of course realized it was sledge hammer and told me that must've been the noise he heard. I actually said at the time that it sounded like metal rubbing together and noted that it sounded unusual. And yes they were testing practically all day. One of the ride ops told me it would be open tomorrow though, but I don't remember if that was before or after hearing the noise...

moneyhead64
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Postby moneyhead64 » 23 May 2011, 18:31

It was open yesterday. However, it did break down at least 2 times during the day, but was later up and running again shortly after.

CedarFair
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby CedarFair » 23 May 2011, 18:41

Sledge Hammer is down today.... It was up and running yesterday and broken once again. I actually feel bad for Cedar Fair..

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Duck » 23 May 2011, 23:02

Don't; it's unique and we're lucky to have it here.

-Iain

Return to “General Discussion”