Wonder Mountain's Guardian - New for 2014!

This is a general discussion forum for most topics related to Canada's Wonderland, located in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Wonder Mountain's Guardian - New for 2014!

Postby denning » 30 Aug 2013, 15:49

I am the only one who is suprised it is so similar to thunder run? It makes no sense to keep both. As much as I hope they do.

And why are they not calling this the 17th coaster.

Lot of a confusion here. Triotech's statements made it seem like was the same as one of their asian rides. The annoucement seemed rushed.

loop-de-loop
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby loop-de-loop » 30 Aug 2013, 15:54

This new attraction and Thunder Run will be nothing alike...
The only similarities they have are "coasters" (I use that term loosely) that go into the mountain, and a dragon.

It also makes lots of sense to keep both. The more family rides the better. Cedar Point rips out family rides for new famlily rides or major coasters, where Wonderland adds more family rides without removing others. I think this is one of the reasons CW does better than CP.

denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby denning » 30 Aug 2013, 15:58

loop-de-loop wrote:This new attraction and Thunder Run will be nothing alike...
The only similarities they have are "coasters" (I use that term loosely) that go into the mountain, and a dragon.

That's pretty similar.
Mommy I want to go on the rollercoaster in the mountain?
Which one?
The one that's for the family
Which one?
The one with the dragon.
Which one?
The one starts outside the mountain
Which one?
The one that's 1,000 feet long
Which one?

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby TimgHill » 30 Aug 2013, 16:03

At the announcement they really stressed the interactive part, which will distinguish it from Thunder Run. It also has a "Surprise Ending" which surprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet. It's supposed to make those afraid of rides think twice about riding again.

I'm actually really excited to see how this ride turns out, it should be a completely unique experience. I think I heard somewhere that is was about 640pph.

Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Dom497 » 30 Aug 2013, 16:09

denning wrote: The annoucement seemed rushed.

Levi's annoucement was the same.....maybe even worse. The POV video didn't work and someone had to pull up the video on a laptop that you could hardly see because of the glare.

TimgHill wrote:At the announcement they really stressed the interactive part, which will distinguish it from Thunder Run. It also has a "Surprise Ending" which surprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet. It's supposed to make those afraid of rides think twice about riding again.

I'm actually really excited to see how this ride turns out, it should be a completely unique experience. I think I heard somewhere that is was about 640pph.

The ending will probably be told/leaked by May.

If the ride will pull 640pph that is really, really bad......just imagine the line...

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby TimgHill » 30 Aug 2013, 16:14

Rewatching the BT announcement, the guy from Triotech mentioned that there will be "lasers to shoot to fight the dragons", with a score counter. It sounds like a real roller coaster version of Boo Blasters but for older kids, in a good way that is. It seems like it will be quite innovative, and a new experience. I don't think that the 640 is official yet.

denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby denning » 30 Aug 2013, 16:30

Dom497 wrote:

Levi's annoucement was the same.....maybe even worse. The POV video didn't work and someone had to pull up the video on a laptop that you could hardly see because of the glare.

[quote="TimgHill"]

Morning of maybe. But Levi had a full mini-site with renderings and POVs from multiple angles that was obviously finalized well in advance. There was no confusion 6 hours later as to exactly what the experience would be. This looks like a press release only. Compare with Cedar Point's wednesday details about their new flats.

denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby denning » 30 Aug 2013, 16:31

Dom497 wrote:

[quote="TimgHill"]

Morning of maybe. But Levi had a full mini-site with renderings and POVs from multiple angles that was obviously finalized well in advance. There was no confusion 6 hours later as to exactly what the experience would be. This looks like a press release only. Compare with Cedar Point's wednesday details about their new flats.

khris
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby khris » 30 Aug 2013, 16:38

No page with more information?
They're potentially ruining Wonder Mountain for THIS?

I'm disappointed. Was expecting something much more exciting than this. I'm not interested in shooting things with a laser on a 3D screen. Lame.

sheldonmans14

Postby sheldonmans14 » 30 Aug 2013, 16:41

khris wrote:No page with more information?

I'm disappointed. Was expecting something much more exciting than this. I'm not interested in shooting things with a laser on a 3D screen. Lame.

You expected more? Almost all the evidence pointed to this, and the fact that it is a roller coaster is surprising.

Is more that you wish it was something bigger?

I think you should hold your judgment until you see more.
Haunt is gone.
Behemoth Ride Count: 89
Leviathan Ride Count: 8

khris
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby khris » 30 Aug 2013, 16:48

sheldonmans14 wrote:
khris wrote:No page with more information?

You expected more? Almost all the evidence pointed to this, and the fact that it is a roller coaster is surprising.

Is more that you wish it was something bigger?

I think you should hold your judgment until you see more.

If Cedar Fair wanted me to hold my judgement, they should have released it with full information.
Yes, I expected something bigger, as the teasers said something "big". This is not what I'd call big. Behemoth and Leviathan are big when it comes to Cedar Fair, not some lame 4D ride in the mountain. Until more is released this is a letdown.
And I don't think you should tell people how to think.

PS: Your signature is against the rules on the forum. 3 lines max.

Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Dom497 » 30 Aug 2013, 16:58

The more I think of it, the more I think BT deserves some of the blame for the result of the annoucment. The time was moved last minute, BT didn't give Wonderland a bigger time slot like they should of (you can see wonderland would of liked more time (or expected more time) because Jen literally cut the TrioTech guy off).

sheldonmans14

Postby sheldonmans14 » 30 Aug 2013, 16:59

I think you should hold your judgment until you see more.[/quote]
If Cedar Fair wanted me to hold my judgement, they should have released it with full information.
Yes, I expected something bigger, as the teasers said something "big". This is not what I'd call big. Behemoth and Leviathan are big when it comes to Cedar Fair, not some lame 4D ride in the mountain. Until more is released this is a letdown.
And I don't think you should tell people how to think.

PS: Your signature is against the rules on the forum. 3 lines max.[/quote]

Do you think the park is going to say we are installing a small, mediocre ride, now go buy a season pass? This is all about building hype at the park. No matter the ride they will play it up, it is just good marketing. For example, they played up Windseeker being a big attraction, while it is no means an intense thrill ride.

What I was really saying is that I think it was silly to ignore every other signs posted on this forum (i.e. Cedar Fair building a dark ride and no other park announcing one, members finding who the designer could be, the fact that a large ride (in terms of height) couldn't be built in the mountain, and Wonderland historically not building large attractions two years apart (yes, the worst piece of evidence because Cedar Fair has done that with TTD and Millennium Force, but still evidence) and base your expectation on a vague teaser post on the website. It seems like you set yourself up for disappointment.

Finally, if the moderators have a problem with my signature I would gladly change it. I have never received any complaints of my signature (it has been of similar length for over a year) until today.
Last edited by sheldonmans14 on 30 Aug 2013, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Haunt is gone.
Behemoth Ride Count: 89
Leviathan Ride Count: 8

droptowerfan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby droptowerfan » 30 Aug 2013, 17:43

While I was hoping for a robocoaaters darkride, I still am quite impressed with this ride. Considering it goes through five sections, and works it's way down the mountain, I'm pretty sure it will be a decent ride. On top of that, it'll be interesting to see what the ending turns out to be.

With that being said, I'm getting sick of all the complaining that's going on. We've barely seen any concept art, and there's tons of complaining already. In addition, do you really want to see concept art of something like this?... It'd ruin the surprise, and something tells me concept art or animation does justice for this kinda stuff.
Top 5 CW Coasters: 1: Leviathan 2: Skyrider 3: Behemoth 4: Backlot 5: Minebuster

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby bratman » 30 Aug 2013, 17:55

I think it is a great addition.

I was at the park for the announcement as well. I will try to fill in some of the blanks here.

Wonderland is designing the track themselves, and they will get someone in the area to fabricate it for them.

I talked to the owner of TrioTech - nice guy. We are getting the latest in dark ride technology and not some lame ride. The cost of the ride is $10 million. That is more than the average roller coaster. Anyways, he said that the programming of the ride can be very easily changed - i.e for Halloween. Look for Wonderland to take advantage of that.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 509 (steel 399, wood 110)

Return to “General Discussion”