SkyRider Closing On September 1

This is a general discussion forum for most topics related to Canada's Wonderland, located in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

SkyRider Closing On September 1

Postby Dom497 » 06 Aug 2014, 12:30

Its offical, SkyRider will close for good on September 1.

VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 6, 2014 /CNW/ - After almost 23 million riders, Canada's Wonderland will be saying goodbye to the iconic stand-up looping roller coaster, SkyRider. Monday, September 1, 2014 will be the last chance for riders to experience one of the legends in the roller coaster collection at the park.

SkyRider opened for riders in May, 1985 and was instantly a hit for coaster enthusiasts across North America. It was the first stand-up coaster to be built in Canada, and second in the world with a loop.

"As the park evolves each year, we continue to focus on future park enhancements that will provide our guests with innovative entertainment and leisure experiences. To accommodate these enhancements, we need to make difficult decisions when considering redevelopment of the land for an improved guest experience in future years. After creating 29 years of memories for our guests, we wanted to make sure thrill seekers of all ages had advance notice of the SkyRider retirement, and an opportunity to enjoy one last ride before it closes at 8 p.m. on September 1," Norm Pirtovshek, General Manager at Canada's Wonderland.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1394678 ... r-29-years
Last edited by Dom497 on 06 Aug 2014, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: SkyRider Closing On September 1

Postby Johnlloyd » 06 Aug 2014, 12:45

This is a very sad time for Canada's Wonderland. :( I really just started enjoying this coaster as it was fun and the airtime was great especially since you stand up. I hope they replace it with a B&M stand-up coaster. Canada's Wonderland will never be the same again. I do understand the reason, but I thought though why they don't keep it for just one more year as it was turning 30 next year. It's the first coaster to leave the park. It will be greatly missed. :'(
New for 2017 at Canada's Wonderland: Soaring Timbers and Muskoka Plunge!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

miller240
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby miller240 » 06 Aug 2014, 13:01

So now the question is. Will that land be used for the expansion of splash works or for the next coaster? And if it's used for the next coaster will it be opening in 2015? The announcement should be coming in the next few weeks so we'll have to wait and see

sheldonmans14

Postby sheldonmans14 » 06 Aug 2014, 13:04

I have a feeling the land will be used for the Splash Works expansion. It just makes sense with SkyRider's location and water slide pieces discovered on site.
Haunt is gone.
Behemoth Ride Count: 89
Leviathan Ride Count: 8

greghill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby greghill » 06 Aug 2014, 13:05

I imagine this is for the 2016 coaster addition. brake run, station lift where Skyrider is and it goes out over WWC. I think if this was for splashworks expansion we would see it closing earlier as they would need the land sooner.

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby xlcanada » 06 Aug 2014, 13:08

I agree with Greg. New ride for 2016. The pathways to the water park may change for 2015. I expect some serious construction after the season ends. Sad but also very excited at the same time.
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

sheldonmans14

Postby sheldonmans14 » 06 Aug 2014, 13:09

Why would Wonderland close SkyRider a year in advance? Wouldn't it makes sense for them to keep it open for another year and close it just prior to the construction of the 2016 coaster?
Haunt is gone.

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby xlcanada » 06 Aug 2014, 13:12

Because it takes time to deconstruct a coaster?

Did Kings Island remove SOB and Banshee all in a year? I can't remember. Bad memory.
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 06 Aug 2014, 13:13

greghill wrote:I imagine this is for the 2016 coaster addition. brake run, station lift where Skyrider is and it goes out over WWC. I think if this was for splashworks expansion we would see it closing earlier as they would need the land sooner.

Good point greghill. Skyrider would close earlier as you suggested if it were for the Splashworks expansion. I just still find it sad though how Canada's first stand-up coaster is leaving. :( I'll definitely ride it every time I go now which will be next Monday. 8) Also some announcements will be made in a few weeks for all Cedar Fair parks according to this article, said by Mr.Ouimet on Newsplusnotes http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/heard-on-cedar-fairs-2nd-quarter-2014.html
Last edited by Johnlloyd on 06 Aug 2014, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonmans14

Postby sheldonmans14 » 06 Aug 2014, 13:16

Yes, but it doesn't take a year and a half to deconstruct a coaster. If it was for 2016, why not deconstruct it in the off-season? Allow people to enjoy the ride until the end of the season. It seems like odd timing to pick two months before the park closes to remove it.
Haunt is gone.

greghill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby greghill » 06 Aug 2014, 13:17

^The problem is the wintertime, taking it apart in the winter would be much harder.

Leviathan construction started right at the beginning of the season, so whatever is in the way would need to be out of the way before then, hence closing early.

The date also coincides with when the park stops Daily operations, AKA when they can start taking it apart without having to close the midway to have trucks and a crane on it.

xlcanada wrote:Because it takes time to deconstruct a coaster?

Did Kings Island remove SOB and Banshee all in a year? I can't remember. Bad memory.

SOB was demolised towards the end of the 2012 season
Last edited by greghill on 06 Aug 2014, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonmans14

Postby sheldonmans14 » 06 Aug 2014, 13:20

greghill wrote:

SOB was also plagued with problems. Maybe SkyRider is in the same boat and too expensive to maintain anymore.
Haunt is gone.

Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Dom497 » 06 Aug 2014, 13:20

Closing it now would also save making the park look like fools...."Happy 30th Anniversary SkyRider....now you die"! :tease:

On a more serious note, I honestly think SkyRider will come down in 2-3 weeks. All they have to do is cut it up, they don't have to be delicate (unless they plan on selling the coaster to another park). Also, if you look at the construction timeline of Behemoth (I don't think we'll see another massive coaster like Levi so Behemoth will be more comparable), construction started in June. What good would it do to keep SkyRider for next year? They will literally only be able to open it for a day or two before having to demolish it so they have time to start laying out footers.
Last edited by Dom497 on 06 Aug 2014, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

greghill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby greghill » 06 Aug 2014, 13:22

SOB was also SBNO for many years prior to the demolition.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 06 Aug 2014, 13:23

sheldonmans14 wrote:
greghill wrote:

SOB was also plagued with problems. Maybe SkyRider is in the same boat and too expensive to maintain anymore.

Yes, Skyrider was getting quite pricey by the sounds of things. But it does bother me greatly that they're not closing it at the end of the season. :(

Return to “General Discussion”