2016 - Skyhawk and Flying Eagles

This is a general discussion forum for most topics related to Canada's Wonderland, located in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
teenagedirtbag
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: 2016 - Skyhawk and Flying Eagles

Postby teenagedirtbag » 27 Jun 2016, 17:09

Went on Skyhawk for the first time this past weekend and definitely had difficulty flipping. On most of the rotations that happened when we were in queue only about 1-3 people per ride cycle successfully flipped. I'm 4'9 so I had a bit of difficulty gripping my wings tight and controlling them. One of the ride operator's suggested slow flapping giving your wings about 3 seconds to sit in the down/up position before switching them again and shifting your body weight towards the wing in the down position.

It's a great ride but not something I would line up for an hour again. Maybe when the line is less busy. But that's just my opinion.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Honorarius » 27 Jun 2016, 19:41

^^^ Most of the riders I've observed are flapping their wings far too fast...

It's a buildup of rotation, going a bit more each time... Small rotation one way, slightly larger the other, a bit more the other way, etc, that leads to the eventual full rotation... Shifting the weight and timing the switch of the up/down wings is the key...

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 29 Jun 2016, 20:12

Honorarius wrote:^^^ Most of the riders I've observed are flapping their wings far too fast...

It's a buildup of rotation, going a bit more each time... Small rotation one way, slightly larger the other, a bit more the other way, etc, that leads to the eventual full rotation... Shifting the weight and timing the switch of the up/down wings is the key...

Yes, I found right away that in order to flip your seat, you need to alternate the direction of your paddles slowly and shift your weight towards the paddle that is down. That's how I was able to complete 28 flips last week when I rode Sky Hawk for the 10th time. I think that the signs should have mentioned this technique. Hopefully riders will learn over time. 8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

Mykidisorange
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Mykidisorange » 17 Aug 2016, 01:50

The Skyhawk record was broken today. It is now 63.

We were at the park today and it was confirmed to me by the ride ops.

It was set by the same person who has the Leviathan 1 day record (128). He's not on CWmania but does follow us on facebook. So congrats to my buddy, "Mr S". (Anyone with ACE knows exactly who I'm referring to).

Mykidisorange
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Mykidisorange » 30 Nov 2017, 06:11

Here's a quick update on Skyhawk. At the end of the 2017 season.

The official record on Skyhawk now stands at 134!! (That's not a typo. It is One Hundred and Thirty Four!). Set by the same person who broke the original 59. The screen couldn't put up a 3 digit score, so he took a picture of the panel inside the booth. Oh. and there was no shenanigans with the park. There was no special cycle set. It was done on a 7 cycle rotation!

I also have to mention if there was a record for kids, say 16 and under. My kids record is 72.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Honorarius » 02 Dec 2017, 14:06

That's like 3 spins a second... Not sure I could walk after that...

Return to “General Discussion”