Dragon Fyres Future

Ponder any possible rumours surrounding Canada's Wonderland here.
cedarpointfan1

Dragon Fyres Future

Postby cedarpointfan1 » 06 Nov 2012, 17:09

So Screamscape is reporting today that Cedar Fair may be planning to remove Anaconda (Kings Dominion) and Vortex (Kings Island) in the next few years. Lance also goes on to mention he has heard rumours that Carolina Cyclone ( Carowinds) may not be around much longer. The common thread with these three coasters? They are all Arrow Loopers. If this rumour is indeed true it kind of makes you wonder if Dragon Fyre might also be on the old chopping block espescially if Wonderland wants to continue to revitalize the Medievel section of the park.

What do you guys/gals think?
Leviathan Ride Count...244
Coaster Count.........187

DantheMan
Admin
Admin

Re: Dragon Fyres Future

Postby DantheMan » 06 Nov 2012, 17:22

Why bother to design Leviathan around Dragon Fire if you plan to remove it? I just don't see it happening for a few more years at this point.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 06 Nov 2012, 22:33

I have a feeling another coaster may bite the dust before Dragon Fire, just sayin'...
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

sheldonmans14

Postby sheldonmans14 » 06 Nov 2012, 23:01

kunpc1 wrote:I have a feeling another coaster may bite the dust before Dragon Fire, just sayin'...

Let's hope that coaster is Wild Beast.
Haunt is gone.
Behemoth Ride Count: 89
Leviathan Ride Count: 8

emery96
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby emery96 » 07 Nov 2012, 00:11

I think Dragon Fire will be around for a while yet. They designed Leviathan around Dragon Fire, which likely costed a bit more than a simpler design. Beyond that, removing Dragon Fire with Leviathan there would be a lot more tricky now. I just don't see it happening- if it was on the chopping block, it would have been gone this year.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Honorarius » 07 Nov 2012, 02:06

kunpc1 wrote:I have a feeling another coaster may bite the dust before Dragon Fire, just sayin'...

Really hope Dragon Fire is around for a while... While it's not the smoothest ride, I find it a good intermediate coaster for those who aren't into the more intense rides...

As to what will go, I have no idea... There are some I would miss, and some I wouldn't... But that's another topic altogether...

TheCrypt
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby TheCrypt » 07 Nov 2012, 03:29

The fact that this rumor came from Screamscape has me looking at it very skeptically. Screamscape is wrong more often than not. I doubt Cedar Fair is looking into some massive Arrow looper carnage at the moment, especially when they have been removing so many rides so soon already (WildCat, Disaster Transport, Space Spiral, Son of Beast, The Crypt, Perilous Plunge, El Dorado, and more). With capital investments all around the chain, I doubt they would be looking toward a quadruple demolition across the continent--nor would they have the capital to do so.

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 07 Nov 2012, 20:28

Cedar fair has the capital to do it. Especially if it's one of these old Arrow loopers each season over the next few seasons (to be replaced with whatever new thrill machine they feel like adding).
-Walt Disney

Wilde Beast
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Wilde Beast » 09 Nov 2012, 04:23

I doubt they'll remove it for a long time, or any other coaster either. A high coaster count is a selling feature.

TheCrypt
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby TheCrypt » 09 Nov 2012, 17:29

kunpc1 wrote:Cedar fair has the capital to do it. Especially if it's one of these old Arrow loopers each season over the next few seasons (to be replaced with whatever new thrill machine they feel like adding).

Cedar Fair may have money, but keep in mind they are still trying to come back after spending $1.24 billion for 5 midsized parks. They also need to dig themselves out of whatever debt the removal/addition of rides over the past few years as well.

My point is, they're not going to blow their allowance on 4 coasters in the same year, especially when they aren't racking up any significant maintenance costs and when they serve a purpose in their park.

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby bratman » 10 Nov 2012, 02:47

Steel coasters don't age well. I have heard stories about how much welding it takes to keep Corkscrew going at Cedar Point. I don't see it, or Dragon Fire, lasting more than a few more years.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 510 (steel 400, wood 110)

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 10 Nov 2012, 22:13

^^When you read over Cedar Fair's financials, let me know. You'll see they're doing very well (including paying down the debt from the Paramount acquisition).

And I believe if you read the comments made, it states over the next few years. If they were to remove one of these large Arrow coasters each year and replace it with a new attraction, they could easily work it into their annual capital expenditures over the next 5 years or so.

I would keep an eye on another coaster at Wonderland for demolition prior to Dragon Fire though.
-Walt Disney

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Honorarius » 11 Nov 2012, 00:34

kunpc1 wrote:I would keep an eye on another coaster at Wonderland for demolition prior to Dragon Fire though.

Sadly, any of the likely candidates are coasters I enjoy, and the two I would miss the least are sure to stay...

Wilde Beast
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Wilde Beast » 12 Nov 2012, 19:04

kunpc1 wrote:I would keep an eye on another coaster at Wonderland for demolition prior to Dragon Fire though.

Is there one you have a bad feeling about?

Whisper
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Whisper » 12 Nov 2012, 20:08

Wilde Beast wrote:

Is there one you have a bad feeling about?

I at least have a feeling Sky Rider will soon be gone. After all Togo is a defunct company so where does Wonderland get their parts? I don't know but I bet they just find whatever they can to fix it. Sky Rider is another old attraction that should go. Old, ride capacity is terrible, and the overall ride experience is quite painful to some. I would be surprised to see if Dragon Fire got removed before Sky Rider.

Return to “Rumours”