Top Spin Rides

Post about hobbies or anything else that interests you here. Please adhere to all forum guidelines and have fun.

Which ride operation do you perfer while riding a Top Spin?

Hang/Suspend up-side down only (2-3 times)
No votes
Flipping/Hang up-side down combination (Multiple times)
67%
Flipping Up-side down only (Multiple times)
33%

Total votes: 12

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Top Spin Rides

Postby Johnlloyd » 25 Nov 2013, 22:35

Have you ever noticed that all Cedar Fair owned Top Spins or similars only go up-side down 2 or 3 times. Why is that? At other parks the Top Spins flip constantly for more of a thrill. Pretty much all the Cedar Fair Topspins just suspend/hang you up-side down 2 or 3 times which is quite intense but not overally fun compared to other Top Spins that flip and hang you up-side down. I really like Riptide (Mondial Splashover) at Canada's Wonderland but I wish it would get more flipping action.8)

Here is a list of all Cedar Fair Top Spin Rides:
-The Crypt, Kings Dominion (Huss Suspended Top Spin)
-Firefall, CA's Great America (Huss Top Spin)
-Hang Time, Dorney Park (Huss Top Spin)
-RipTide, Canada's Wonderland (Mondial Splashover)
-RipTide, Knott's Berry Farm (Huss Suspended Top Spin)
-RipTide, Valleyfair (Huss Suspended Top Spin)
-Thunderhawk, Worlds Of Fun (Huss Top Spin)
Total: 7 at Cedar Fair Parks :D
New for 2017 at Canada's Wonderland: Soaring Timbers and Muskoka Plunge!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Top Spin Rides

Postby Johnlloyd » 28 Nov 2013, 13:58

I'm just guessing but I think Cedar Fair doesn't want too many G's on their Top Spins because of the risk of smaller riders passing out. I know that sounds wierd but it may be true because you do get stuck to your seat when you constantly flip upside down really fast. :lol:

loop-de-loop
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby loop-de-loop » 30 Nov 2013, 01:44

I don't think Cedar Fair is worried about rides with a lot of G's, or I-305 would be trimmed a lot. I prefer constant flipping since its different from hangtime which you can find on a lot of other rides. I think this is why I like Shockwave a lot.

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 26 Mar 2014, 11:12

The Crypt at King's Dominion flipped about 4-5 times in a row with each of the slow rotations (when I was there a few years back). It does that 2 or 3 times per cycle. Definitely a lot of flipping (which I LOVE).

I also remember getting 5 snap rollovers in a row on RipTide at Knotts a few years ago.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 26 Mar 2014, 20:50

kunpc1 wrote:The Crypt at King's Dominion flipped about 4-5 times in a row with each of the slow rotations (when I was there a few years back). It does that 2 or 3 times per cycle. Definitely a lot of flipping (which I LOVE).

I also remember getting 5 snap rollovers in a row on RipTide at Knotts a few years ago.

Maybe it's easier to get a floor-less suspended Top Spin to flip more times because it's lighter. 8)

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 26 Mar 2014, 21:17

Cliffhanger/Riptide at Canada's Wonderland flipped A LOT the first season or two it openned. I know mechanical issues resulted in re-programming of the ride cycle to the weak, boring ride it is now.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Honorarius » 27 Mar 2014, 00:18

kunpc1 wrote:Cliffhanger/Riptide at Canada's Wonderland flipped A LOT the first season or two it openned. I know mechanical issues resulted in re-programming of the ride cycle to the weak, boring ride it is now.

I wasn't sure if it had changed drastically or if it was nostaligia making me remember it as a lot better than it seems...

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » 27 Mar 2014, 00:37

I don't particularly like hanging upside down for very long, but I really enjoy that out-of-control feeling. I guess that's why I tend to go on Shockwave more that Riptide. That, and the fact that I don't really like getting sprayed with water... I mean, you have to have some of both flipping and holding for it to really BE a Top Spin, but I would prefer it if they only used the hanging to create the flipping, rather than have the hanging be a thing all its own...
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

WonderlandScott
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Postby WonderlandScott » 28 Mar 2014, 17:17

Ty-rant_13 wrote:I don't particularly like hanging upside down for very long, but I really enjoy that out-of-control feeling. I guess that's why I tend to go on Shockwave more that Riptide. That, and the fact that I don't really like getting sprayed with water... I mean, you have to have some of both flipping and holding for it to really BE a Top Spin, but I would prefer it if they only used the hanging to create the flipping, rather than have the hanging be a thing all its own...

I have to agree, I like the feeling of being out-of-control. It's a cool feeling! 8)

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 30 Jun 2014, 21:09

This has to be one of the best Top Spin operations I've ever seen. It flips and hangs multiple times! Check out the video to see full details. This Top Spin would be amazing to ride! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjjEv1R_Mok

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 14 Jan 2015, 14:11

In the following video made by Mondial it appears that Riptide (originally Cliffhanger) had a more intense operating mode like Kunpc1 had mentioned in an earlier post. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/LPgTExVg9pE?t=2m21s In this section of the video it appears as if no one is one the ride, but during this shot it shows the second gondola flipping multiple times which would be awesome if Riptide was able to operate like that again. The ride would give passengers a much better experience as it would make the ride more intense and thrilling compared to it's operations today where you hang upside down three times ( twice backwards, once forward). But like few had said earlier, this kind of operation had ended due to mechanical issues. But I still find it odd how all Top Spin rides within Cedar Fair parks have similar, if not the same operating modes. I still find Riptide to be a great ride but I would find it better if there were two new operating modes each season rather than being same old every time you go to ride it, even though currently there is only one mode each and every year. But I have noticed the second (back) gondola does a lot more flipping and swinging than the first, which I assume is due to the momentum being created during the ride. 8)

Return to “Off-Topic”