Luke is reunited with SkyRider in its new life as Freestyle

Let us know about future trips to Canada's Wonderland on the calendar or post about the details of the trip after.
lumist
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Luke is reunited with SkyRider in its new life as Freestyle

Postby lumist » 05 Sep 2016, 20:38

Here's my first trip report about my visit with Freestyle (formerly our SkyRider) at Cavallino Matto in Castagneto Carducci, Italy.

I visited the park for two days in May of 2016 and had a great time, especially on Freestyle. It's smoother and even slightly faster than it ever was here.

http://www.lukefillion.ca/freestyle

I hope you enjoy! :-)

jetscreamlover
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Luke is reunited with SkyRider in its new life as Freest

Postby jetscreamlover » 06 Sep 2016, 02:41

Thank you Luke for the trip report and information. It is so nice to see Skyrider operate again. I LOVE its neon yellow track.

I noticed that when the park assembled Freestyle they did not install the track catwalk that was on the whole ride of Skyrider. Did you by chance ask this? I might be answering my own question but maybe they assumed it was not really necessary?

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 06 Sep 2016, 12:29

Thanks for taking the time and money to travel to Italy to capture photos and ride Freestyle! I myself was glad too when it was announced in late 2014 that SkyRider had found a home in Italy. I also like the fact how Cavallino Matto has taken such great care of it since it had opened during July of 2015. It looks completely brand new and looks more so amazing than it did at Canada's Wonderland with it's new bright neon yellow paint scheme and black supports. It also amazes me to see that the park straightened out the track on the helix to give it a completely smooth and enjoyable ride, even though I never had a problem with it. But, it's definitely great to see SkyRider live on as Freestyle at a quickly growing park in Italy. I hope Cavallino Matto continues to take care of it so it continues to create new memories for many years to come.

On a side note, one thing I miss the most about SkyRider is the amount of airtime it produced while I rode throughout the whole duration of the ride with my arms in the air! Maybe one day I'll be able to travel to Italy and reunite with SkyRider once again. Thanks once again for sharing these amazing photos and information while you visited Cavallino Matto! 8)
New for 2017 at Canada's Wonderland: Soaring Timbers and Muskoka Plunge!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

lumist
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby lumist » 06 Sep 2016, 18:47

Thanks JSL and JL! It's my pleasure to share! I never thought to ask about the catwalk... I think your theory is probably right.

I was very impressed with the maintenance too! There's no graffiti on the rides, everything is clean and polished, and it runs better than ever. I don't remember my feet leaving the floor on the first drop of Skyrider, but they left the floor on the first drop and both airtime hills... It soars on the track! The ride experience is enhanced by the location. There's nothing like being at the top and looking to your left to see the Etruscan Sea instead of a waterpark, beautiful green treetops everywhere, and terracotta roofs with fields and mountains on the right. Travelling the track in fresh air and a woodsy landscape make the ride magical. As much as I miss SkyRider at Wonderland, I believe it's found its true home :-) I hope you'll get to visit it too! I recommend staying at the Hotel iGinepri in Castagneto Carducci, it was worth every Euro. It's easy to get there from Rome by train and the walk through the countryside to get to the marina/park is beautiful.

Return to “Events and Trip Reports”