Behemoth Restraint Safety

Discuss the massive B&M Masterpiece that put Canada's Wonderland into the world-class coaster category!
cooliocody12
CWManiac
CWManiac

Behemoth Restraint Safety

Post by cooliocody12 » 26 Aug 2009, 13:41

I know this had been sort of discussed before but, I was on Behemoth yesterday and like always put my knees up when they pushed the lapbar down so they wouldn't staple me. Since the ride ops were rushing they pushed down on my lapbar really lightly and left it really high up off my lap. Of course I left it the way it was figuring if the train has been dispatched that means the restraint is far enough down to start the ride. The first drop gave me incredible airtime, I was literally flying out of my seat. So my question is the sensors in the train have to all be down a certain level before the train dispatches right?

greghill
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Behemoth Restraint Safety

Post by greghill » 26 Aug 2009, 14:14

^yes, in face the restraints have to be in the second lock position or further, in each car there are 4 orange LED's and when they are all on the car's restraints re all the way closed. the ride physically CANNOT dispatch if not all restraints are closed enough.
in summary, it is EXTREMELY safe!

clewis4u91
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

Post by clewis4u91 » 26 Aug 2009, 16:40

Gotta love B&M :wink:. Actually, I think Intamin recently adapted the system. But don't they use hydraulics instead of a latching (failproof) design?

cooliocody12
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by cooliocody12 » 26 Aug 2009, 17:32

They use the hydraulic system so the restraints aren't restricted to a certain latch but rather can form fit to the individual. Like on El Toro, the ride has so much insane airtime that the restraints have to be quite tight, the latching system wouldn't be flexible enough to fit over everyone because it needs to be tighter.

WildeBeast
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by WildeBeast » 26 Aug 2009, 18:30

The chance of a lapbar failure on any ride is always possible, but extremely unlikely. I've had a family member take a lap on Minebuster with a flapping buzzbar - but thats a different story, many moons ago. There is always an element of rider responsibility when it comes to amusement ride safety. Is it possible to be ejected from Behemoth without a lapbar failure? Absolutely. But the rider would be partially responsible for the accident. The following events would need to all come together in order for this unfortunate occurance to take place:

1) The rider would need to be thin, with short legs.

2) The rider would purposely need to position their body in such a way during the restraint check so that the lapbar would actually be quite loose on them once they sit in the normal riding position.

3) The ride attendant checking the restraint would need to be the lackadaisical type. You know the ones I'm talking about... who touch the restraint with their baby finger and state "Check". Fail.

4) The rider would have to straighten their legs while going over the first drop / airtime hills. This would facilitate the possibility that the rider could literally slide straight up and out of the seat. We all do this to enhance the feeling of floating. With legs bent at right angles in the normal riding position, an ejection is almost impossible without lapbar failure.

If an unexperienced rider were to fit the above mold, unaware of the airtime that Behemoth delivers, there is certainly a chance of ejection. By the time they realized they were too far out of the seat, it may be too late.

WildeBeast

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by TimgHill » 26 Aug 2009, 21:02

I have had the lap bar much above my legs, it's not by tightness on you, it's by the notches which decides if it's safe or not. The second click down is perfectly safe, the top click is just in case the other clicks fail. as long as the lap bar is in the second click or lower, the bar is perfectly down enough to not open, whether or not it is tight enough against the person is for the Ride Op to make sure.

funnel_cakes
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by funnel_cakes » 28 Aug 2009, 12:18

lol Wildebeast, you scared me there for a second.
I always put the restraint really tight on most rides because I'm scared of having room in between :P
> CW 2010: 9 [tried Drop Zone! :D]
> 2009 I tried The Bat, Top Gun, Sky Rider, Nightmares, Shockwave, Speed City Raceway, Cliff Hanger, & Scooby Doo's Haunted Mansion!

Dr.Ake
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Dr.Ake » 28 Aug 2009, 13:40

Once I went on Behemoth and the restraint was really tight. But going down the first hill the retraint actually lifted up a notch so it was loose. But I was SSSOOOO scared when it happened! I thought my restraint was going to come fully up! I grabbed onto the restraint but then realized what happened so I put my hands back up, lol. It was terrifying though.
Behemoth count: 250!
Wonderland Trips '11: 6

coaster_maniac
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by coaster_maniac » 28 Aug 2009, 15:17

Don't all the roller coasters have the same system as behemoth? Because I have noticed that the train does not leave unless all the lap bars are locked/in place.
Trauma's R Us.

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by TimgHill » 29 Aug 2009, 14:53

Yes they do, but Behemoth has a more complex system I think that most of the rides. All the rides have this, but I don't think to the same extent, like the ride will let it dispatch with an open restraint. (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, Behemoth has 3 safety clicks before the computer says it's actually closed.

Riptide Rules x2!
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Riptide Rules x2! » 29 Aug 2009, 15:13

Well, I remember last year, there was somebody who couldn't get the restraint down one click. There were two ride attendants that had to physically sit on the restraint to just get it down one click, and after about a minute, the train was dispatched with him on it. I'm not sure, maybe the safety features have changed?

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by TimgHill » 29 Aug 2009, 21:00

^No, they haven't. As long as the restraint is fully closed those three notches (it's always been like that, the second notch is almost not noticeable, only on the test seat pulling it down really slowly) it is safe. If it isn't safe, the train won't dispatch and the person will be told to leave.

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Duck » 26 Sep 2009, 10:31

clewis4u91 wrote:Gotta love B&M :wink:. Actually, I think Intamin recently adapted the system. But don't they use hydraulics instead of a latching (failproof) design?
Intamin uses two parallel systems to ensure safety. So, on their bars, there are two cylinders (connected mechanically to the bar), two accumulators (oil storage for the restraint cylinders), two valves (to control the flow of oil), etc... both would have to fail to cause a problem. There's a cam (bumpy wheel) with a limit switch on it that has to make, before the train will be dispatched (same as Behemoth). Pretty simple!

So, long as you can prove to the TUV (or whoever the safety authority is in your area, in our case, TSSA) that there's no reasonable case where a failure can result in someone getting hurt, you're OK. Several of Intamin's new rides, for example, have done away with anti-rollback dogs (like Insane at Grona Lund, or Farenheit at Hersheypark) since they've moved to a dual-chain system with two parallel drives. The advantage here is twofold; they don't even need a staircase on the lift (not that they could evac vertically with ease anyway), since they can argue that it's unlikely both drives would fail simultaneously, stranding riders. Although the argument for coming up with the dual-drive was probably more because of the difficulties encountered with trying to come up with an effective evacuation system on something in an awkward position like that.

B+M have about 4 ratchet cogs and pawls (the finger that engages on the teeth) on their restraints - again, so that any one failure (broken tooth, broken spring) won't cause a problem. On the inverteds, you can see the adjusting screw for the pawl springs in the seat in front of you by looking through the small opening in the back of the seat.

-Iain
I've ridden 451 different coasters around the world.