Behemoth Vibrations

Discuss the massive B&M Masterpiece that put Canada's Wonderland into the world-class coaster category!
TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Behemoth Vibrations

Postby TimgHill » 30 Jul 2013, 21:33

I definitely think it has to be the trains. Do the other hypers with these trains rattle like Behemoth? They're newer but I'm still wondering. (Diamondback, Intimidator, Shambhala).

droptowerfan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby droptowerfan » 27 Aug 2013, 23:03

^I thought it was the trains for the longest tune... Then I rode Goliath at La Ronde, which had the same problem. I'm not sure what the problem with these two coasters is, as the other B&Ms in La Ronde and wonderland don't have this problem at all.
Top 5 CW Coasters: 1: Leviathan 2: Skyrider 3: Behemoth 4: Backlot 5: Minebuster

loop-de-loop
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby loop-de-loop » 28 Aug 2013, 02:39

droptowerfan wrote:^I thought it was the trains for the longest tune... Then I rode Goliath at La Ronde, which had the same problem. I'm not sure what the problem with these two coasters is, as the other B&Ms in La Ronde and wonderland don't have this problem at all.

Thats the first time I've heard someone say Goliaths rattle is as bad as Behemoth's, I hope you just rode it on a bad day.

I've only noticed Behemoth's rattle in the valleys, however it doesn't take away from the ride at all to me, and is nowhere near headache inducing or unrerideable.

MagicMountainFan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby MagicMountainFan » 28 Aug 2013, 06:15

Nitro has bad vibrations in the valleys also.
Top 10 rollercoasters 1: X2 2: Maverick 3: Leviathan 4: Millennium Force 5: Top Thrill Dragster 6: Rip Ride Rockit 7: Sheikra 8: Tatsu 9: Behemoth 10: Manta

2012 ride count -Leviathan:68 Behemoth:29 Vortex:12

Nuance84

Postby Nuance84 » 28 Aug 2013, 23:45

MagicMountainFan wrote:Nitro has bad vibrations in the valleys also.

I agree. In fact the vibrations were worse than anything I've experienced on Behemoth.
Ride On!!

shorty050605
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby shorty050605 » 31 Aug 2013, 02:19

I'm just throwing this out there because I have no idea what could cause the vibrations but is there any chance it could be from the G-forces on the train it self? or even from the track vibrating as the train goes into the valley? I mean the G's have to have some effect on the track, maybe its causing the track to vibrate... I only notice the vibration when the trains goes over the water, it could play a part in this phenomenon :?:

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby TimgHill » 31 Aug 2013, 14:32

I think there was a suggestion a ways back that the high G Forces and heavy train made the wheels gradually become looser on the track, which allowed it to vibrate more. On TPR a while ago there was discussion about how the longer eurofighter cars with wheels near the middle have serious vibrations. I think a combination of the slightly loose wheels from the forces (you can see the top wheels move throughout the course) and the leverage from the longer cars makes it vibrate. A similar thing might be happening on Nitro, even though it still has the short cars. Do Diambondback, Intimidator at Carowinds and Shambhala have the same vibrations?

loop-de-loop
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby loop-de-loop » 01 Sep 2013, 00:41

TimgHill wrote: Do Diambondback, Intimidator at Carowinds and Shambhala have the same vibrations?

From reading other forums, it sounds like Behemoth is actually a bit smoother than Diamondback and Intimidator, so yes. As for Shambhala, not a lot of people have ridden Shambhala and the other v-style hypers to compare, so I'm not sure about that one. I would imagine it would follow this trend though.

Scott84
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Postby Scott84 » 06 Sep 2013, 14:36

I have noticed the vibrations more and more as the years went on. Hopefully next year they will be able to smooth things out. Even with the vibrations, such a great ride!

droptowerfan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby droptowerfan » 23 Jun 2014, 04:20

loop-de-loop wrote:
droptowerfan wrote:^I thought it was the trains for the longest tune... Then I rode Goliath at La Ronde, which had the same problem. I'm not sure what the problem with these two coasters is, as the other B&Ms in La Ronde and wonderland don't have this problem at all.

Thats the first time I've heard someone say Goliaths rattle is as bad as Behemoth's, I hope you just rode it on a bad day.

I've only noticed Behemoth's rattle in the valleys, however it doesn't take away from the ride at all to me, and is nowhere near headache inducing or unrerideable.

Well, after the first two major hills, I barely noticed it. Hogs ever, I was expecting as smooth a ride as Leviathan, which I did not get. I rode Vampirr, La Ronde's Invert, just hours before, and it was glass smooth (on par with or better than leviathan). Vampire's a BTR clone, and probably pulls the most Gs out of the 4 B&Ms in Canada and that I've ridden, so I'm pretty sure G Forces aren't the problem.
Top 5 CW Coasters: 1: Leviathan 2: Skyrider 3: Behemoth 4: Backlot 5: Minebuster

miller240
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby miller240 » 27 Aug 2014, 14:51

I was at the park Saturday and Tuesday. Rode behemoth once Saturday (don't remember which train I was on) It was nice and smooth. Then Tuesday I rode twice in the yellow train both times and the vibrations were worse than I've ever noticed.

I also noticed the wheels moving around on the track more than I would expect so worn out wheels could be the problem.

Does anyone know how often the wheels get replaced on the average coaster?

greghill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby greghill » 27 Aug 2014, 16:24

I've noticed that they've been playing with different wheels on behemoth lately, there are red wheels, gray wheels, and the regular yellow wheels.

^At Guardathon we were told the road wheels last about two years. After that they are sent to a factory in California to be recoated with new urethane, as the metal portion of the wheel is still fine.

RealisticTrain
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby RealisticTrain » 28 Aug 2014, 14:52

I was on the yellow train yesterday and had the most unpleasant ride I've ever had on Behemoth. Avoid the yellow train at all costs....

youcantcallmejoe
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Postby youcantcallmejoe » 20 Oct 2016, 21:59

RealisticTrain wrote:I was on the yellow train yesterday and had the most unpleasant ride I've ever had on Behemoth. Avoid the yellow train at all costs....

That seemed to be the only on where it was really bad as I rode the Behemoth 11 times a few weeks ago when I was there, the others seemed to have a much smaller amount of vibration.
2016 Ride Count | Leviathan: 13 Behemoth: 21 MineBuster: 10 Wild Beast: 1
2017 Ride Count | Leviathan:18 Behemoth: 19 MineBuster: 5 Wild Beast: 6

youcantcallmejoe
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Postby youcantcallmejoe » 11 Jun 2017, 04:02

Coming back to this thread after the off season, today I got a lot of vibrations. It still didn't hinder my enjoyment but it was much more noticable than I remember last year. I'm hoping I just got a train with more worn wheels than the others because Behemoth is awesome and I don't want to have to experience those vibrations especially when I go on it 8 times in a day. Anyone else notice it?
2016 Ride Count | Leviathan: 13 Behemoth: 21 MineBuster: 10 Wild Beast: 1
2017 Ride Count | Leviathan:18 Behemoth: 19 MineBuster: 5 Wild Beast: 6

Return to “Behemoth”