Behemoth Vibrations

Discuss the massive B&M Masterpiece that put Canada's Wonderland into the world-class coaster category!
kunpc1

Behemoth Vibrations

Post by kunpc1 » 05 May 2010, 22:43

So this thread hasn't had activity in it for a LONG time. I figured I'd try to bring it back to life.

Coasterboy and I were talking about this the year Behemoth opened but I think it's more noticeable now and worth a discussion. The trains tend to vibrate quite a bit (especially now that the ride is a couple years old), almost making it feel a bit rough in the valley of the hills (I'm not complaining, just mentioning what I've heard the GP say recently). This isn't a typical sign of B&M however, Behemoth (and now Diamondback & Carowinds' Intimidator) have unique trains.

Typical B&M trains have one straight row across and each car has it's own axle. With these newer B&M hypers, the trains are almost 2 rows long but still only have one axle per car (with the "zero" car at the very front holding up the first full car).

I wonder if these trains should have been built with 2 axles per car as to provide a smoother ride? Just something to consider...
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

Whisper
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Behemoth Vibrations

Post by Whisper » 05 May 2010, 22:56

Maybe the fact that riding Behemoth day in and day out (I know I am exaggerating) will make you notice it more compared to other B&M's.

But after all, like you mentioned, these trains are new, and they aren't able to do testing on them until actually placed on something (like Behemoth/Diamondback).

Dr.Ake
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Dr.Ake » 05 May 2010, 23:01

I don't really notice in it when I'm on the ride, but I notice it when the trains goes by the station on the final hill before the MCBR. You can hear it vibrating...and its loud.
Behemoth count: 250!
Wonderland Trips '11: 6

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by xlcanada » 05 May 2010, 23:13

May 2008. Initially I found the ride had a fair bit of vibration. Not as bad as Silver Star (Europa Park in Rust, Germany), but certainly not as smooth as say, Apollo's Chariot or Raging Bull. I tried each ride to track what was causing the vibration... and then I saw what was happening. Over the crest of each hill, there was so much big air that the mass of the train was physically forcing the upstop wheels to compress, increasing the gap between the road wheels and the track. Then the wheel assemblies would start shaking all over the place. Disconcerting but awesome all at the same time.
Source: Duck's website. :)
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 05 May 2010, 23:14

Most of my rides this year have been near the back and it's very noticeable (especially at the bottom of the first drop). I'm not sure if it's as noticeable in the front... You can definitely hear the rattling along the course.

You can see with a typical B&M hyper, the axles are fairly close together:

http://www.rcdb.com/535.htm?p=13884

The newer models are quite far apart in comparison:

http://www.cwmania.com/photos/displayim ... 28&pos=133
-Walt Disney

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by TimgHill » 06 May 2010, 21:58

^I agree.There does seem to be a lot of vibrations on this ride.
Whisper wrote:Maybe the fact that riding Behemoth day in and day out (I know I am exaggerating) will make you notice it more compared to other B&M's..
I do, often, ride it day in and day out :lol: I noticed it hugely on all of my rides so far this year. It's not painful, but shakes you up quite a bit. Maybe I am more sensitive to G-forces because of the off-season, but after 7 rides in an hour, I was feeling kind of gross because of it. Not vomit kind of gross, just rattled. I agree it may be the trains. The trains are very nice, but i think they should have two axles, if that would help the vibrations. New trains for 2011? :lol: That would be random

cheese
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by cheese » 07 May 2010, 10:48

I don't think it has anything to do with the spacing of the axles. Look at this video of Intimidator (same trains!), there's pretty much zero rattle and it sounds glass smooth. Now compare it to this video of Behemoth and you can hear the rattle/vibrations in every valley.

It could just be the wheels they are using, I don't recall the ride being nearly as rattly when it opened as it is now.

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 07 May 2010, 15:31

Misunderstood what Cheese said, this post can be deleted.
Last edited by kunpc1 on 07 May 2010, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
-Walt Disney

cheese
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by cheese » 07 May 2010, 15:51

^I never mentioned anything about Intamin trains being the same.

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 07 May 2010, 15:56

Sorry, I was thinking I-305, not Intimidator at Carowinds. My apologies. I know when Behemoth opened, the rattle wasn't noticeable for the most part. You just felt a slight vibration. When coasterboy and I get to ride Intimidator this August, I'll be able to make a better comparison as to whether it has the same issues or not. To be honest, I don't remember if Diamondback had the vibrations too when I rode it last year.
-Walt Disney

Whisper
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Whisper » 07 May 2010, 18:08

^
Even on Media Day for Behemoth, I recall some vibrations at the back of the train, but slightly.

But it vibrates more because it goes faster through the hills (like Duck mentioned on his site). Because people have said that Behemoth is better than Diamondback (because it's faster). And in the back, you feel it more because the front of the train is pulling you and more throughout the ride, you are faster. (I don't want to sound like the GP saying that the back is the fastest, it's more-of the back is at a constant speed).

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by TimgHill » 07 May 2010, 21:51

^GP :lol: kidding. i felt less vibrations today for some reason :shock: I got 17 rides in, 16 in like 3 hours. I didn't get very jostled, maybe because of the rain?

clewis4u91
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

Post by clewis4u91 » 07 May 2010, 21:55

Temperature affects the ride. I'm sure it was a little colder today. Could definitely be a factor.

TimgHill
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by TimgHill » 07 May 2010, 21:59

^I was also thinking that. It was very cold today for sure, especially tonight. Some rides near the front, there was absolutely no vibrations. The middle return airtime hill had some vibrations though, as well as the first drop. Not as much as sometimes, but probably will be worse than ever this summer.

tristtkd
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by tristtkd » 07 May 2010, 22:13

On opening day I actually found the vibrations to be at around the same level as the 2009 season, I hope it'll have none though tomorrow :dance:
Then He said " thou coaster junkies shalt not take POV vids,those who shall will be punished". On the third day Adam taketh thy video and GP were born upon this Earth...

My avatar is a member of a coaster enthusiast group... guess which one?