Behemoth Vibrations

Discuss the massive B&M Masterpiece that put Canada's Wonderland into the world-class coaster category!
Whisper
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Behemoth Vibrations

Post by Whisper » 03 Aug 2010, 00:56

cheese wrote:
Behemoth is only a couple years old...if it already needs new wheels than B and M makes pretty bad quality coasters!!!
This is a joke, right?

Right.....?
Nope. Compared to Intamin (which has amazing wheels), B&M has an extensive record of accidents. I wouldn't trust B&M at all. Intamin all the way!!!!

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 29 Aug 2010, 13:56

As Dan mentioned, wheels are swapped out on coasters on a very regular basis.
Whisper wrote:
cheese wrote:
Behemoth is only a couple years old...if it already needs new wheels than B and M makes pretty bad quality coasters!!!
This is a joke, right?

Right.....?
Nope. Compared to Intamin (which has amazing wheels), B&M has an extensive record of accidents. I wouldn't trust B&M at all. Intamin all the way!!!!
I-305 was having wheels changed on a DAILY basis when we went back in April. Trains were put on and off the transfer track multiple times in a day to have work done on the wheels (there were many reports of the trains "blowing" wheels on a regular basis). And Intamin coasters are infamous for developing the "Intamin Shuffle". We all know that every coaster manufacturer has their issues...

Although a point worth mentioning is that Carowinds B&M Mega coaster Intimidator had similar vibrations and it's brand new! Very interesting how the new 2-row cars vibrate whereas the standard 4-across speed coasters do not (Apollo's Chariot was running VERY smooth last week).
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Duck » 20 Jul 2011, 22:45

Sure, the configuration of the seats is different, but the loads per tire are still the same. They're still four passengers per two wheel assemblies.

-Iain
I've ridden 451 different coasters around the world.

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 21 Jul 2011, 06:48

But the length of each car is almost double that of the original design. So there must be added weight in there somewhere? And wouldn't the altered shape/size possibly change the forces on the wheel assemblies?

I just haven't heard / felt this type of vibrations on most B&M's that are the 4 across in a row. I just threw this suggestion out there as it's the only real difference I can see between the "old" train design and this new design we have.
-Walt Disney

coasterboy
Admin
Admin

Post by coasterboy » 21 Jul 2011, 18:23

I rode Behemoth as an auction winner on the first night, as well as for TV shoots a couple of days before that. It vibrated much the same way the very first time I rode it 4 seasons ago as it does today. Diamondback and Carowinds Intimidator were very similar, though I think ours was a little more noticeable due to the fact that Behemoth has the most prolonged and consistent air time of the three coasters.

Lithanial
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Lithanial » 22 Jul 2011, 06:35

Duck wrote:Sure, the configuration of the seats is different, but the loads per tire are still the same. They're still four passengers per two wheel assemblies.

-Iain
Not necessarily true, obesity is a rising trend. There are rides out there that had to be strengthened to deal with the rising trend.
Waiting for Ziz......

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Duck » 22 Jul 2011, 09:23

An extra 400 lbs per car is nothing compared to the mass of the chassis weldment itself. It doesn't even see it.

I don't recall any vibration on Diamondback or Carointimidator either, but I wasn't specifically looking for it; I was trying to keep from falling asleep. :) Both are fairly boring after riding Behemoth so many times.

-Iain

CWFreak
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by CWFreak » 02 Aug 2011, 14:21

I have been on Behemoth several times and not once have i felt vibrations on the ride! Idk why people think there are vibrations.
Wonderland Count 2012: 2
Leviathan Count: 12

DantheMan
Admin
Admin

Post by DantheMan » 02 Aug 2011, 19:35

Oh there are definitely vibrations. Most people miss them due to enjoying the ride.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 03 Aug 2011, 02:00

Rode Goliath at La Ronde today a couple times in both the front and back of the train. It's amazing how SMOOTH those trains still are. I'm convinced it has something to do with the design of the staggered seats.
-Walt Disney

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Duck » 04 Aug 2011, 07:03

It's like saying all red cars go fast. :)

Carowinds Intimdator doesn't vibrate like Behemoth, and neither did Diamondback, thinking back to it.

Love Goliath! Did they run two trains, or were they being French? :)

-Iain

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 05 Aug 2011, 08:05

Just finished a TPR coaster trip. Had a few people tell me that both Intimidator at Carowinds and Diamondback at King's Island have been vibrating quite a bit.

Iain, Goliath was only running 1 train during our ERT but they eventually added a second train for the regular day. Ednor (SLC) was only running ONE train... With Gold Flash Pass, we still waited 40 minutes!

Also rode Nitro again on this trip with ERT and it was still running very smooth in all seats.

In this case, I'm comparing 2 different train designs that are pretty much the same (where as every red car is not even close to being the same). Other people that have those parks as home parks found the coasters to rattle more than the standard B&M Speed Coasters we rode on this trip.

Oh well, hopefully Wonderland can do something to smooth them out for next season.
-Walt Disney

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by xlcanada » 11 Aug 2011, 13:08

http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2010/08 ... of-bm.html

Interviews — August 2, 2010 Coaster Stock 2010 Recap Pt. 2: Q&A with Bob Mampe of B&M

How did B&M get to where they were engineering their rides to leave only 3/16th of an inch of space between the wheels and the tracks?

He shared that B&M has always focused on the precise execution of their designs. Via a proprietary method they are able to allow only millimeters of tolerance. He went on to share that the shorter (four across) vehicles and their precise engineering methods led to their smooth ride in the past. When he mentioned the need for shorter vehicles he was speaking in the past tense. This may be a reference to the fact that the new cars on Intimidator (with the winged seating placement) are actually longer vehicles than on older similar coasters like Nitro and Raging Bull.
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

mzimms
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by mzimms » 12 Aug 2011, 17:14

A theory I have, is possibily as the wheels are wearing out and getting near their replacment time, mabe they're just out of balance. Example; tires on vehicles need weights when they're first installed to counter act a heavy spot in one section of the tire and keep it on the road. In the same way, if it's even possible for a wheel to be out of balance on a coaster, that imbalance would be amplified through the train since the cars don't have a suspention system to take some of the vibrations, and you're traveling at 125kph.

minebusterftw!
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by minebusterftw! » 13 Aug 2011, 23:44

Yeah, it's a bit rough for a B&M, but admit it, you'd go on it no matter what.
Drop it...
CW:5/Leviathan:33/Behemoth:21/Minebuster:8