Behemoth Vibrations

Discuss the massive B&M Masterpiece that put Canada's Wonderland into the world-class coaster category!
cedarpointfan1
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Behemoth Vibrations

Post by cedarpointfan1 » 18 Sep 2011, 19:12

I rode Behemoth for the first time this year yesterday and I did notice some vibrations but it was'nt enough to to detract from an enjoyable ride experience.
Leviathan Ride Count...244
Coaster Count.........187

minebusterftw!
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by minebusterftw! » 19 Sep 2011, 16:20

I notice it going up the lift, but that's it.
Drop it...
CW:5/Leviathan:33/Behemoth:21/Minebuster:8

jazzimm
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by jazzimm » 01 Oct 2011, 11:37

I rode 3 times last night and only noticed the vibrations in the valleys between hills. Not all of them, mostly just the bigger hills. Like others said, it's not a big issue, and you really would only notice it if you're looking for it.

kresslia
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by kresslia » 02 Oct 2011, 20:06

I originally thought I wasn't going to be able to visit the park today, but I got to go marathon Behemoth for a grand total of 50 minutes.

It was cold and I hear it was raining a lot during the day. Today the vibrations were A LOT more noticeable to me, and I wasn't the only one who noticed. They were hindering my enjoyment a little bit at the back, especially through the helix. Behemoth probably just wasn't in top form after the past few days of wind, rain and cold temperatures.
Leviathan & Behemoth // The roller coaster world's power couple!

cedarpointfan1
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by cedarpointfan1 » 05 Aug 2012, 19:49

Never thought I would have seen the day that I walked away from Behemoth when it was a walk-on but that's exactly what happened today as it was the first time the vibrations were too much for me. After my third ride I was feeling a little woozy from all the rattling. Hate to say it but Behemoth is starting to fall in my rankings because of these vibrations. hopefully B&M and the park are looking into the situation and trying to see if they can come up with a solution.
Leviathan Ride Count...244
Coaster Count.........187

TheCrypt
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by TheCrypt » 05 Aug 2012, 20:00

Sit on the inside seats. They aren't over a wheel seat, meaning a smoother ride (same works with wooden coasters, too). Diamondback is the same way, and the fin brake trim is annoying!

thusoccer
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by thusoccer » 29 Aug 2012, 19:36

Today i was riding Behemoth and my head started to hurt from the vibrations, also when i was in the wave pool i could here where the vibrations were! i think they should fix it...and fast!

boomer78
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by boomer78 » 30 Aug 2012, 09:19

Since last year was my first ride on it, near the end of the season,
I'm curious as to how it was in the opening and 2nd seasons.

I can only ride it once or twice there, then it starts to really get to me.
Leviathan...can ride all day if I could.

Kinda scares me that this is how the ride feels 4 years into its life,
hope the park is looking into this and its something that can be addressed in the off-season.
Hope Leviathan doesn't experience the same type of 'growing pains'
Leviathan's Lair is a toolshed.
Trips through Leviathans toolshed in 2012: 10

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 30 Aug 2012, 09:28

I doubt Leviathan will. I've ridden plenty of the standard B&M hypers and none of them have a rattle nearly as noticeable as the extended trains used on Behemoth, Diamondback or Intimidator.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

TheCrypt
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by TheCrypt » 30 Aug 2012, 21:06

Leviathan's trains have an axle every seat, and that makes the ride smoother.

Behemoth, however, has trains that have an axle every other seat (the back rows), offering a rougher ride in the outer rows, but the ride is still smooth on the inside seats (seats that are next to eachother, without the space).

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 31 Aug 2012, 06:41

^As much as that would make sense, I've heard from numerous people that the spacing shouldn't make a difference. I don't know if it's the spacing or if it's some other issue with the way these trains were configured/designed, but it's definitely getting more noticeable.
-Walt Disney

TheCrypt
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by TheCrypt » 31 Aug 2012, 23:04

According to that line of argument, why is it that wooden roller coaster trains ride smoother when in between a wheel (the middle row of a car)?

Same principle....

MagicMountainFan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by MagicMountainFan » 01 Sep 2012, 02:48

Well on a wooden coaster the wheels arent as precisely attached and it's wood, wood's rough and by sitting in a middle row you avoid the wheels making for a smoother ride. But on behemoth I find the vibrations in every seat but it's stronger in the back probably because that where the most stress on the train is because it has to haul over the hills. So it's definately in the design of the trains. Maybe it's just friction causing the vibrations because the longer trains way more than the 4 seater one and they both have the same amount of wheels. Because of this added weight it probably causes the wheel to press harder down on the track causing a vibration when they rub together.

Just a thought.
Top 10 rollercoasters 1: X2 2: Maverick 3: Leviathan 4: Millennium Force 5: Top Thrill Dragster 6: Rip Ride Rockit 7: Sheikra 8: Tatsu 9: Behemoth 10: Manta

2012 ride count -Leviathan:68 Behemoth:29 Vortex:12

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 01 Sep 2012, 09:16

TheCrypt wrote:According to that line of argument, why is it that wooden roller coaster trains ride smoother when in between a wheel (the middle row of a car)?

Same principle....
You're right. You obviously know more about Behemoth than the people I've spoken to (including park management and maintenance staff from multiple parks that have these trains). :roll:

According to your line of argument, every seat on the standard B&M trains should be rough as they're all over a wheel.

There's a huge difference between the the engineering of wood and steel.
-Walt Disney

thusoccer
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by thusoccer » 01 Sep 2012, 11:19

they should try a new train on behemoth to see if the train's or the track that is the problem.