Seatbelts

Discuss the massive B&M Masterpiece that put Canada's Wonderland into the world-class coaster category!
RealisticTrain
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Seatbelts

Post by RealisticTrain » 02 May 2014, 17:17

The stacking is probably due to it being the first day of the season for all employees. When you consider that a large majority of staff members at CW are new hires and have never operated the rides before (with people on it, the have done training though) then you start to understand why trains were stacking. In a few operating days the stacking should hopefully come down.

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 02 May 2014, 18:29

I understand some stacking at the beginning of the year but this was really bad.

Behemoth was only running 2 trains (the third was in the maintenance "shed"). They were consistently stacking with just 2 trains. I have never seen anything like this before on Behemoth.

On the other hand (or side of the park), Leviathan's crew was AWESOME. They were hitting interval (or close to it) regularly when we were riding. Trains were heading up the lift hill while the train ahead was in he hammerhead turnaround near the front of the park.

One ride with seat belts - SLOW. Other ride without seat belts - FAST.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

twisterfreak
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by twisterfreak » 04 May 2014, 16:34

RealisticTrain wrote:The stacking is probably due to it being the first day of the season for all employees. When you consider that a large majority of staff members at CW are new hires and have never operated the rides before (with people on it, the have done training though) then you start to understand why trains were stacking. In a few operating days the stacking should hopefully come down.
The thing is stacking is nothing new to Behemoth. The first few years they were pretty good and tried to get it out relatively fast. The last couple years though have been bad enough where I've waited at the stairs for up to 10 minutes while the trains stacked.

I'm glad the seatbelts don't interfere with the air time but sad that it is slowing load times down
2012 Ride Count: Leviathan: 53 Behemoth: 43 Minebuster: 2 Backlot: 5 Skyrider: 2
2013 Ride Count: Leviathan: 5 Behemoth: 4 Gatekeeper: 6 Wicked Twisterf: 6 TTD: 6 Millennium Force: 4

greghill
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by greghill » 05 May 2014, 11:00

With the seatbelts, they are going to need to start telling people to do up the seatbelt, then let the attendant close the restraint, as they do on top thrill. this is definitely the quickest way to load it! I noticed it is very difficult for the attendant to check the seatbelt when the restraint is already down.

And although the stacking is not new, the full stack every cycle is, and it is a killer on the capacity, as they may as well only be running two trains!

johnds6582
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by johnds6582 » 06 May 2014, 11:50

First time poster but have been lurking the forum for a bit as I have a trip to Toronto coming up that involves a side trip to here.

Out of curiosity are these new seatbelts as bad as the ones found on Millenium Force and Top Thrill at Cedar Point? I have a friend who will be coming with me and misses out on being able to latch the belts on MF/TTD by 2-3 inches. Would be a shame if that were the case here now as well.

Thanks in advance for the info guys.

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 06 May 2014, 20:17

Unlike the seat belts on TTD or Millennium Force at CP, Behemoth's belts are retractable and stretch out quite long. The belts don't restrict the size of person that can ride, it's all based on the restraint.
-Walt Disney

ThrillFan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by ThrillFan » 07 May 2014, 05:57

I'm not opposed to the belts if they don't affect the ride (i.e. airtime). It's better safer than sorry. If B&M had released this seat style with belts in the first place, people wouldn't be complaining so much. I guess personally I'll need to ride with them a number of times to make up my own mind. I figure that they are gauging the response with Behemoth, and the Leviathan is next on the list.

I do hope that, as people have mentioned, they don't further restrict larger guests. I have seen a number of people turned away at the rides due to the shape of the seats/restraint bar, and had a few friends unable to ride as well based on the narrowness of the test seats (Behemoth, Leviathan, CP Gatekeeper). For these seats, it seems that hip size is a limiting factor due to the moulded seat sides. As someone that was much larger just a few years ago, I hope they kept that into account.

In fact, as much as I'm sure it's not true, a part of me is hoping that with the seat belts, they should be able to add "one more notch" to the restraint bar mechanism, possibly allowing for some additional guests to be able to ride.

DantheMan
Admin
Admin

Post by DantheMan » 07 May 2014, 08:46

There are a couple of things I want to chime in about:

If B&M intended for the Behemoth and Leviathan to have seatbelts, they would have been mandatory from the get-go. Despite, what it appears on the ride, in is my understanding that there are actually 2 self-contained mechanisms in place to keep the restraints in place throughout the ride so I believe it is merely a perception thing that having seatbelts makes the ride safer.

Also, seatbelts were added and subsequently removed from Vortex because the park eventually figured out that is slowed down loading and were totally unnecessary. I think they will eventually come to the same conclusion in this case.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

StEC
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by StEC » 07 May 2014, 11:17

I'd still love to know the "official reasoning" behind this decision to ad belts!?
Niagara Falls deserves a world class amusement/theme park and Marineland is not it!

WonderlandScott
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by WonderlandScott » 08 May 2014, 09:17

StEC wrote:I'd still love to know the "official reasoning" behind this decision to ad belts!?
They are probably concerned about safety in case if the restraints did suddenly release. Look around at all the other rides...
Nothing would hold you in if the restraint failed, so it acts as a "safety net".
I know that it may seem like it killed the joy factor but they don't want to risk it so, they added seat belts. It saves lives and saves them from ruining their reputation/ legal background if something ever were to happen.

DantheMan
Admin
Admin

Post by DantheMan » 08 May 2014, 09:59

See my post ^^^. See this post on Coasterbuzz for more info.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 08 May 2014, 13:31

The install has nothing to do with actual safety. It's all PERCEIVED safety by the general public.
-Walt Disney

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Honorarius » 08 May 2014, 15:43

kunpc1 wrote:The install has nothing to do with actual safety. It's all PERCEIVED safety by the general public.
Bah! That's even worse... "Here's these things that don't actually do anything, they just make you think your safer now"... And in return, guests get to ride half as much they used to because too many people treat buckling a seatbelt and following instructions like they're being asked to shuffle a deck of cards while wearing boxing gloves...

If my hair was long enough to grab, I'd be pulling it out...

0/10...

RealisticTrain
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by RealisticTrain » 08 May 2014, 16:33

kunpc1 wrote:The install has nothing to do with actual safety. It's all PERCEIVED safety by the general public.
If they are just there to make people feel safer then why do they actually check seat belts?

Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Dom497 » 08 May 2014, 16:35

RealisticTrain wrote:
If they are just there to make people feel safer then why do they actually check seat belts?
:? Ummm....because if you don't check the seat belt than the person begins freaking out thinking that their going to die.

Wonderland even admitted on their Facebook page that the seat belts on Behemoth are redundant.