Behemoth Crowd Control Rant / TR

Discuss the massive B&M Masterpiece that put Canada's Wonderland into the world-class coaster category!
DantheMan
Admin
Admin

Re: Behemoth Crowd Control Rant / TR

Post by DantheMan » 12 May 2008, 20:41

taytig wrote:On a completely different rant, I have also noticed that CWmania is becoming more of a FANBOY site instead of a public forum. I for one agree with many of the negative posts that seem to have been deleted since I visited last. Is it wrong to have a public name-calling arguement - yes, it is wrong to express your opinion - no.
CWMania is a site for fans of Canada's Wonderland; that was always the intention of the site. That being said, people here are always welcome to post thoughts about the park, whether they be negative or positive. What is not acceptable is a complete bashing of the park, the company that owns it, or the employees that work there.

Be careful judging about removed posts. There are many things that go un-noticed around here due to the quick response of the moderators.
taytig wrote:Sorry about the rant, but I don't feel like I should post here - I think the quality of the site has deminished radically in the past few months. I have lurked for a while and posted a few times, but I'll head over to Themeparkreview.com - they value keeping the boards a bit more real.
You are more than entitled to your opinion. I actually encourage a good debate on park practices and the like. I'm sorry that you feel that way but very little has changed in the content of CWMania or the way that is run since the site was launched over a year ago.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

pcwarryk
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by pcwarryk » 12 May 2008, 20:48

The rope drop policy was never such a hazard back when I was an employee in 2005. They've obviously been doing it for years.

Clearly, the addition of Behemoth calls for a maturing and revitalization of the park's typical operations.

241awesome
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by 241awesome » 12 May 2008, 21:49

My idea is that they could set up multiple ropes. Divide the crowd up into sections and let each one disperse before dropping the next rope and so forth. But then the problem would be having enough security personnel to accommodate such a task.

clewis4u91
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

Post by clewis4u91 » 12 May 2008, 23:18

I think they should either do one of 2 things (which have already been mentioned). Either open up the gates right at 10am (which can cause a LOT of congestion and confusion for people buying tickets and season passes), or let everyone in whenever, but have queue lines closed. However, it would take a lot of extra staff to make sure queue lines are closed off before park opening. But what would be the point of closing the queue until opening then? Everyone would line up and file into the queue at 10am anyways!

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 13 May 2008, 01:13

"Also - why open the park when nothing is open? If you can't line up for a ride, why bother opeing the gates? It means you have to pay all the gate employees, and others, an extra hour to open up so your consumers can come inside and do nothing. It creates anger, tension and in many cases a general dislike for policy. Why do this? I for one know that if I start to get a little agitated or displeased, I am not going to spend money in the park."

No extra time would be required for gate employees - they are there already allowing people in early (who then just crowd up at the rope areas). I'll try explaining this one more time.

FOR EARLY RIDE TIME AT 0900hrs:
Rope off access to all areas of the park that are not included, and allow full access from the front gate to the open area of the park. Staff will be at the rides that are open a bit prior to this (for morning checks/testing). Start taking tickets and letting people in the front gate at approximately 0850hrs (10 minutes prior to ERT starting). Allow people to walk directly to the open rides and line up in the queue. Let them wait in the queue until 0900hrs (or prior if the rides are ready to operate) and begin running the rides for the hour of ERT.

FOR REGULAR HOURS AT 1000hrs:
Have nothing in the park roped off allowing full access to the park from the front gate. Staff should be doing morning ride checks/testing on the rides prior to the 1000hrs opening (so rides are ready to go right at 1000hrs). Start taking tickets and letting people in the front gate at approximately 0945-0950hr. Allow people to walk directly to the open rides and line up in the queue. Let them wait in the queue until the ride is ready to operate (even if this means people start riding a couple minutes before 1000hrs).

This simply means all maintenance vehicles would have to be off the paths 15 minutes earlier than they are now (with the rope drops). No extra staffing hours are required. If anything, this will lead to happier guests, who may spend MORE money. I know I would be much happier than being crowded and then trampled right at 1000hrs.

"On a completely different rant, I have also noticed that CWmania is becoming more of a FANBOY site instead of a public forum. I for one agree with many of the negative posts that seem to have been deleted since I visited last. Is it wrong to have a public name-calling arguement - yes, it is wrong to express your opinion - no."

I aggree completely with you. So long as it's done in a respectful way. I will bring attention to the faults of the park anytime. However there are intelligent and respectful ways (towards others) to articulate your concerns. I most definitely am not a fanboy, this above post should prove that. I disagree with something the park is doing AND I'm suggesting constructive critism (offering solotions to the problem, not just complaining about it).
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

WildeBeast
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by WildeBeast » 13 May 2008, 09:35

kunpc1 wrote:Have nothing in the park roped off allowing full access to the park from the front gate.
Exactly. This is the bottom line.

The time at which guests are allowed into the park is negligible. I suggested 10am right on the dot, but it really makes no difference. When the park grounds are "safe" for the public, let them in! Whatever time that may be. It could be 9am, 9:30am, or 9:57am and 23 seconds! It doesn't matter, so long as guests can enter any queue line immediately!

Simple for us to see, and simple to implement. The old dogs at Wonderland perhaps don't want to learn new tricks? It's a travesty; people will continue to get hurt if this rope drop crap is not eradicated. The crowds are only going to get larger every week. Wake up Wonderland, wake up...

WildeBeast

denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by denning » 13 May 2008, 10:47

Just open up the park but not the rides.

Isn't it safer to have people organized in the behemoth queue ready to go then a mad dash?

WildeBeast
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by WildeBeast » 13 May 2008, 14:51

Yes, much much much safer. Along with more intelligent, financially wise, less butting, zero tension, and happier guests.

WildeBeast

sledgehammerrr
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by sledgehammerrr » 13 May 2008, 16:23

i know that i've had so many problems with CW before and it looks like it's even worse this year
I've never been to CW without getting atleast 20 line jumper groups a visit
and the park is more into enforcing sitting on railing which isn't a big deal
this is complete bs
the ERT is so misorganized at the park
go there and ask which part of the park is open...guest services said medieval, front gate said medieval and it turns out being the kidzville open
and when we went up to security at medieval they just wanted to get rid of us
also will Behemoth be operating next week on wednesday or thursday(when i'm going)

golfmanager
Banned
Banned

Post by golfmanager » 14 May 2008, 12:52

It seems my first posting thread was "locked" by DanTheMan. If I am going to be put back at the bottom of the line, I can only judge that this site is either funded by or trying to please Wonerland!

-

I did in fact send an e-mail to Wonderland on Monday morning, and today (May 14th), I received a generic response back which I am not happy with. They failed to acknowledge my concerns or address the issue.

After Wonerland’s response, we have taken my oldest daughters season pass away for now and informed Wonderland not admit her to the park unless my wife or myself is present. Yet it seems Wonderland does not care.

I have two girls and two boys, a six-pack of season passes – I thought it would be a great idea for our family and give some independence to my daughter, now my whole family is angered with my decision.

I

kunpc1

Post by kunpc1 » 14 May 2008, 13:40

The best way to avoid this whole issue (if it isn't fixed)... Don't go right at park opening. Wait until 10:15 or 10:30ish to go. Then, you can avoid the whole issue of the "rope drop". Let your children go after this time, and you won't have to worry about this type of thing. They can have their "independence" and you'll have peace of mind.

As for your other thread, the title was "Behemoth Concerns", which would have been more appropriately placed in the "Behemoth Thread", not "General Discussion". On top of that, it was the exact same premise of this topic here. Why do we need more than one? It has nothing to do with you being "put back at the bottom of the line". It keeps things orderly and much easier to follow (same ideas in the same thread/topic).
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

WildeBeast
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by WildeBeast » 14 May 2008, 13:48

golfmanager,

Your post was by no means put to the "back of the line." The topic of your thread was simply a duplicate to another that was already started. So for organizational purposes, your thread was closed and the topic of discussion was directed over here. CWMania is not funded by, or affiliated with Cedar Fair or Canada's Wonderland. It's an unofficial Canada's Wonderland fan site open to the public.

Trust me, I am as big a Wonderland fan as they come. But when I have a negative experience with the park, I am the fist person to voice my concerns.

I too have received many poor, generic responses from the Canada's Wonderland "Customer Service" department. Don't ever pour your heart out in an email to them; it will be in vain. I have indirectly been told that my voice didn't matter; they could keep me or lose me as a customer, and wouldn't care either way. In my experience, customer service does not go out of their way to make your voice heard. Been there, done that, never again.

What they should receive is an email containing one line: A link to this thread. Regardless, don't kid yourselves everybody if you think the park doesn't monitor these threads. Free feedback is priceless, no matter what business you're in.

Keep posting your comments and concerns regarding the park's opening strategy everybody; we're on camera.

WildeBeast

maxudaskin
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by maxudaskin » 14 May 2008, 13:57

Here is a good idea:

Allowed to come into park 1 hour before rides start.
As people fill the queues, there will be need for security to make sure people don't get rowdy, but at least there is no trampling.

randomperpie12
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by randomperpie12 » 14 May 2008, 17:33

I think they should let the line go as long as they want. The GP should be smart enough to realize a line is too long. It's common sense. Most wouldn't wait 3 hours for a ride. I would for a ride like Behemoth, but most wouldn't.

pcwnut
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by pcwnut » 14 May 2008, 22:12

I have finally emailed the park and as suggested included the link to this thread.

Let's hope something is noted as it is a situation I do not want to see get out of control.
- Joshua McLachlan aka PCWNUT
(yes, I know the P doesn't matter anymore ;) )