Behemoth not operating on Mother's Day

Discuss the massive B&M Masterpiece that put Canada's Wonderland into the world-class coaster category!
maxudaskin
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Behemoth not operating on Mother's Day

Post by maxudaskin » 12 May 2008, 22:19

bratman wrote:Staff are usually sworn to secrecy.... disclosing inside information could lead to their dismissal.
Well, I do not remember signing anything that said we couldn't say anything, but anyone with common sense will tell you that it is a stupid move.

I am guessing that there was an issue regarding the computers, let's say a sensor malfunction. Except for steel, the roller coaster is practically a computer.

clewis4u91
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

Post by clewis4u91 » 12 May 2008, 23:32

I'm not very pleased with CW anymore. If Behemoth really is down for a while, they should at least put up a banner on the website. Honestly, I can understand that it might not be the park's fault that it's down, but they should be able to let people (mainly tourists) know that the ride is down, so they can reschedule their trips. Because seriously, a LOT of people have only been to CW so far for Behemoth. I am one of them. I rode Behemoth 6 times and Drop Tower once, nothing else.

maxudaskin
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by maxudaskin » 13 May 2008, 00:14

Let me paint you a picture:

It seems you think CW is :dance:

You seem very :irrate:

CW staff are extremely :beg:

[Continued (3 smilies allowed per post)]

maxudaskin
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by maxudaskin » 13 May 2008, 00:14

Everyone is :excited: :beg: :doh:

maxudaskin
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by maxudaskin » 13 May 2008, 00:16

You while on your way to CW :excited:
You when you are getting through FG :dance:
You when you reach the Behemoth :bash:

Do you like my painting?

imperialconqueror
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by imperialconqueror » 13 May 2008, 03:36

Stairclimber wrote:Behemoth is shut down temporarly due to a gear on the chain drive being defective. The gear broke and needs to be replaced its unknown when wonderland will be able to get the part, so it maybe shut down for a week or so.
Makes me wonder what else is defective... (yes i know B&M very safe... yada yada... so was the Titanic)

I have a question for u coaster geeks:
What safeguards does a coaster have to prevent it from rolling back down the lift hill into the train waiting in the loading station... say if the chain breaks.. or.... say... a gear for the lift hill is defective? I've always wondered this... and now i kinda have to ask b4 riding Behemoth again.
(Actually no.... I would ride it again regardless... it could kill all 32 people on the train in front of me and I'd still probably ride it when it reopened... but still... the question remains)

And yes it is my first post.

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Duck » 13 May 2008, 06:01

Every coaster has an antirollback mechanism of some description; on Behemoth (and most chain-lifted coasters) there's a sawtooth shaped track running parallel to the chain (on Behemoth, it's just to the right of the chain). A similar shaped dog (pivoted catch) under the train rides up this track and is effectively a one-way clutch. The train can't come backward, because the dog engages each tooth and can pass over it only in the forward direction.

The chain dog is a similar (but not identical) shape - it contours to the roller guides on the chain - and permits the train to over-run the chain at the crest of the lift.

Of interest; B+M are the only company I've ever seen actually put cushioning elements on the antirollback rail. If you look at each segment of the rack as you go up the lift, you'll see it's permitted to slide longitudinally and there are large diameter urethane cushions that would absorb the energy of the train coming backward one notch (so the halt is a lot more gentle than an abrupt impact, as you'd get on other rides).

-Iain
I've ridden 451 different coasters around the world.

241awesome
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by 241awesome » 13 May 2008, 07:16

maxudaskin wrote:
bratman wrote:Staff are usually sworn to secrecy.... disclosing inside information could lead to their dismissal.
Well, I do not remember signing anything that said we couldn't say anything, but anyone with common sense will tell you that it is a stupid move.
Contract, manuals, training etc... :doh:

tenfour
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by tenfour » 13 May 2008, 16:13

maxudaskin wrote:

I am guessing that there was an issue regarding the computers, let's say a sensor malfunction. Except for steel, the roller coaster is practically a computer.
Says so in your contract

Marcanadian
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by Marcanadian » 13 May 2008, 19:44

I'm thinking about going to Wonderland this friday, but Ill hold up until Behemoth is fixed.

Does anyone know if the ride will be fixed in time for this friday? Please post any updates on the issue.

pandacoaster26
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by pandacoaster26 » 13 May 2008, 20:08

I plan on calling CW friday during lunch.. leave right after fourth if all is well :)
skates chocolates <3

clewis4u91
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

Post by clewis4u91 » 13 May 2008, 20:25

I will be visiting CW on Sunday for the fireworks. I'm not expecting Behemoth to be open, but if it is, my day will be even better. I'll be getting some pics of the fireworks (I'd do video but my camera doesn't record sound). I'll also be getting videos of whatever rides I can to compile a general CW video. I hope you guys will like it :).

cedarpointfan1
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by cedarpointfan1 » 13 May 2008, 20:30

I sent an e-mail to the park yesterday asking if Behemoth would be open in time for the weekend. I have not recieved a reply as of yet and quite frankly I am not expecting a response at all but if I do get one I will be letting you all know. Even if I don't get a reply I will still go ahead with my plan on going up to the park on friday at around noon and if I see that Behemoth is not operating then I will head to the Colossus and watch the new Chronicles of Narnia movie.
Leviathan Ride Count...244
Coaster Count.........187

maxudaskin
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by maxudaskin » 13 May 2008, 23:01

Call 'em: 905-832-7403

Or at:
Guest Inquiries (905) 832-8131

darque
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by darque » 13 May 2008, 23:34

clewis4u91 wrote:I'm not very pleased with CW anymore. If Behemoth really is down for a while, they should at least put up a banner on the website. Honestly, I can understand that it might not be the park's fault that it's down, but they should be able to let people (mainly tourists) know that the ride is down, so they can reschedule their trips. Because seriously, a LOT of people have only been to CW so far for Behemoth. I am one of them. I rode Behemoth 6 times and Drop Tower once, nothing else.
Yeah, totally agree with you. I could be wrong here, but I think some of the 6Flags parks do the same. It's not like CW/CM would refund people because the ride is down unless maybe if they put up a huge stink.
Something Wicked This Way Comes....