Leviathan

Check out the buzz on CW's newest coaster, debuting in 2012!
twisterfreak
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Leviathan

Post by twisterfreak » 13 May 2012, 00:10

I was blown away by the efficiency of this ride crew! The fact that the line I was in would have taken an hour and a half to 2 hours at Cedar Point and the longest I waited was an hour and 10 minutes is amazing! As soon as the on train dropped and started heading to the front of the park, another one was out of the station and heading up the lift hill. The crew is awesome!
2012 Ride Count: Leviathan: 53 Behemoth: 43 Minebuster: 2 Backlot: 5 Skyrider: 2
2013 Ride Count: Leviathan: 5 Behemoth: 4 Gatekeeper: 6 Wicked Twisterf: 6 TTD: 6 Millennium Force: 4

Qwester
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Qwester » 14 May 2012, 16:58

funkymonkey wrote:I'm fairly new to roller coaster fandom so forgive me if this is a silly question (or if it's been posted elsewhere), but why hasn't Cedar Fair publicly announced the drop height?

If we are pretty sure that the drop is greater than 306 feet and therefore greater than other huge coasters (Intimidator, Millennium Force, maybe even Steel Dragon), why don't they use that as extra publicity and marketing?
Perhaps this information will be disclosed at Leviamania. I am sure we are going to ambush the Q&A with that particular question!!

kunpc1
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

Post by kunpc1 » 14 May 2012, 17:11

For those that may want to get a couple rides in on Leviathan, check this out:

CHCH Media Event - Thursday May 17
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

minebusterftw!
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by minebusterftw! » 21 May 2012, 18:45

I rode Leviathan today with Connor and a few other friends. The tunnel; yeah it's less than a second you're in there, and yeah it looks like a tool shed, but the fact that we're complaining about it is outrageous. It doesn't deteriorate from the ride experience at all. Think about it, you're traveling 100ft in less than a second. If that isn't thrilling, please tell me what is.
Drop it...
CW:5/Leviathan:33/Behemoth:21/Minebuster:8

Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Dom497 » 12 Oct 2012, 14:47

I don't know if any of you have seen this yet but take a look at this 360 degree pov (Click and hold to move the camera around). Its pretty cool.

herbfong
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by herbfong » 03 May 2013, 10:19

I really enjoy the high efficiency of Leviathan, one of the best rides every designed! I also really like the ride timer in the station that was installed early in 2013.

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Duck » 26 Jul 2013, 16:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkEwGwvqAhQ

Some footage from last weekend.

-Iain
I've ridden 451 different coasters around the world.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 09 Mar 2016, 13:14

I wasn't too sure as to where to post this but, here's the new 2016 Leviathan t-shirt design. 8)

[imgresize 440x600]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcA7jonWEAAVpm7.jpg[/imgresize]

Dave Phillips' Twitter post
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 03 Feb 2018, 10:39

Does anyone know why Leviathan is listed as a Hyper Coaster on rcdb? The official manufactured name is listed in the park as "Giga Coaster," as can be found on the placard mounted to the operator's booth. It also, like all Giga coasters, focusses more on speed than airtime (the focus of hyper coasters).

All I'm saying is if you consider Leviathan a Hyper coaster, it's probably the worst one since it has very little airtime. As a Giga coaster, it maintains its speed pretty well throughout, even coming into the brake run (depending on the day).
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

WonderMountain
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by WonderMountain » 04 Feb 2018, 11:09

B&M states they only make hyper's.... even if that means they go over 300 feet and to what Intamin considers giga's.

I don't know if Giga is trademarked or if it's just B&M being stubborn since they did historically state that they will never make one.

In a Q&A years ago at CW the whole story was brought up that in the Paramount days they were tasked to design a invert for us until they realised that CW was two miles within the 500 miles surrounding area agreement they had with Cedar Point to not design any rides for a competitor.

Thus we got a Vekoma SLC.

They stated they owed us for that one and decided to make the giga.

Now I dont have any direct sources, however Ive read it many times, probably on this site or TPR from people who state they were at the Q&A that day.

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 05 Feb 2018, 14:00

I believe it was 200 miles, but yes, I'm aware of that story behind us getting Leviathan.

But the official Wonderland ride plaque for Leviathan lists the manufactured name as "Giga Coaster." That's what confuses me. Dragon Fyre is listed as "Double-Loop Corkscrew," Minebuster as "Shooting Star," White Water Canyon as "River Rapids Ride," The Bat as "Boomerang" and so on. The name listed there is the apparent model name the manufacturer decided on before the park named it. Therefore B&M called it a Giga coaster themselves. I'm not sure if Fury 325 has a similar plaque or not, but it was marketed as the tallest Giga coaster in the world, so I'm not buying the trademarked or "Intamin only" explanations.

I feel like rcdb should either add Leviathan and Fury 325 (and Steel Dragon 2000) to the category or remove the category altogether (which currently only features two coasters: Millennium Force and Intimidator 305).

Any other thoughts or theories on why rcdb made this decision?
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 08 Feb 2018, 22:46

Not just that, but why are no Intamin roller coasters in Wonderland? There's only two Intamin rides in Wonderland, none of which are even exclusive to it!

It would be great if Wonderland had a roller coaster similar to Cedar Point's Wicked Twister (built by Intamin).

Qdriver
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Qdriver » 25 Feb 2018, 16:45

Johnny Au wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 22:46
Not just that, but why are no Intamin roller coasters in Wonderland? There's only two Intamin rides in Wonderland, none of which are even exclusive to it!

It would be great if Wonderland had a roller coaster similar to Cedar Point's Wicked Twister (built by Intamin).
Agreed!!! I have always been holding on to some thread of hope of seeing something by Intamin one of these days. I think there’s plenty of room for something unique and compact even better than a Wicket Twister or a Maverick,
GO LEAFS GO!!!