Marineland - Niagara Falls, ON

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Marineland animals suffering, former staffers say

Post by xlcanada » 21 Aug 2012, 19:24

Another employee account of events & interview:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... planations
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

clewis4u91
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

Post by clewis4u91 » 08 Sep 2012, 21:16

This place must be shut down. Graphic new details emerge:

http://www.thestar.com/article/1253334- ... deer-bears

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by xlcanada » 09 Sep 2012, 01:10

^
“As always, we are focusing on what we do best: ensuring our guests enjoy their visits to our park, confident in the knowledge that all of our animals are well cared for,” said Marineland’s marketing director, Ann Marie Rondinelli, in refusing an interview or to provide written comment on shooting animals rather than having them euthanized

Hammond said it wasn’t unusual for Holer to shoot his animals from his truck. He spoke to the Star after seeing the series on Marineland, in which former employees blamed serious health problems in sea mammals on poor water and a shortage of trainers.
Wow...I hope this isn't true. That's so sad. :'(

MagicMountainFan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by MagicMountainFan » 09 Sep 2012, 02:16

John Holer is a piece of trash. Somebodys got to stand up to him and his stupid business and shut down the park.
Top 10 rollercoasters 1: X2 2: Maverick 3: Leviathan 4: Millennium Force 5: Top Thrill Dragster 6: Rip Ride Rockit 7: Sheikra 8: Tatsu 9: Behemoth 10: Manta

2012 ride count -Leviathan:68 Behemoth:29 Vortex:12

DantheMan
Admin
Admin

Post by DantheMan » 09 Sep 2012, 19:47

It amazes me how many people are jumping on board with criticizing Holer and saying he is "trash". The fact is that you are accepting heresay, rather than actual facts. At this point, there is no way to distinguish truth from fiction because there have been mo results published from the on-goiung investigations of which I am aware.

Now, let me clarify that I am hardly a pro-ponent for Marineland. If they are indeed abusing animals to that level then it is definitely time for someone else to take over ownership or for the park to be shut down. I have both worked at Marineland and visited there over the last few years. Though the exhibits are desperately in need of an update to make them more animal friendly, I believe that there is a degree of exaggeration in the articles printed in the Star.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

emery96
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by emery96 » 09 Sep 2012, 20:09

I think you hit on a very important point there Dan. At this point, we are just left to believe what the media is informing us. Of course the conditions are appalling then, that's what attracts readers. When I went there last year, I really don't remember it being that poor. Sure, the deer enclosure was not ideal, and some of the tanks were too small, but I did not really see a lot of the things being published. At this point, I will just sit back and wait for the official reports and see what they say.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Honorarius » 09 Sep 2012, 20:16

DantheMan wrote:It amazes me how many people are jumping on board with criticizing Holer and saying he is "trash". The fact is that you are accepting heresay, rather than actual facts. At this point, there is no way to distinguish truth from fiction because there have been mo results published from the on-goiung investigations of which I am aware.

Now, let me clarify that I am hardly a pro-ponent for Marineland. If they are indeed abusing animals to that level then it is definitely time for someone else to take over ownership or for the park to be shut down. I have both worked at Marineland and visited there over the last few years. Though the exhibits are desperately in need of an update to make them more animal friendly, I believe that there is a degree of exaggeration in the articles printed in the Star.
He could be a saint and I still wouldn't be a fan of his... His idea of what makes a good park and my idea of what makes good park just aren't anywhere close to each other...

DantheMan
Admin
Admin

Post by DantheMan » 10 Sep 2012, 19:52

emery96 wrote:I think you hit on a very important point there Dan. At this point, we are just left to believe what the media is informing us. Of course the conditions are appalling then, that's what attracts readers. When I went there last year, I really don't remember it being that poor. Sure, the deer enclosure was not ideal, and some of the tanks were too small, but I did not really see a lot of the things being published. At this point, I will just sit back and wait for the official reports and see what they say.
Exactly, I too went there multiple times last year (though not once this year) and I never noticed anything to the level that we are being led to believe.

Let me just say, Holer isn't a particularly nice guy. When I worked there he just rode around on a golf cart and couldn't be bothered to acknowledge anyone else. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean that he treated animals the same way, though we are essentially creatures of habit. In other words, is it likely he wasn't wasn't / isn't nice to animals: yes.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 10 Sep 2012, 21:53

Just to let everyone here know that its not just the animals that are a problem at Marineland. Just last year John Holer purchased a nearby trailer park and evicted all 47 families who lived there and 1 person committed suicide as a result of that. The reason for those evictions were to build a maintenance warehouse there, Unfortunately the trailer park still stands today and no such construction has started yet.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Honorarius » 10 Sep 2012, 22:15

canadaswonderlandguy wrote:Just to let everyone here know that its not just the animals that are a problem at Marineland. Just last year John Holer purchased a nearby trailer park and evicted all 47 families who lived there and 1 person committed suicide as a result of that. The reason for those evictions were to build a maintenance warehouse there, Unfortunately the trailer park still stands today and no such construction has started yet.
Hey, I think he runs a horrible excuse for an amusement park, but the eviction was within his own right as a property owner. If someone couldn't handle that, you can't lay that at Holer's feet.

Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Dom497 » 21 Sep 2012, 21:01

No surprise here.... completely saw this one coming....

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... -of-health

MagicMountainFan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by MagicMountainFan » 21 Sep 2012, 22:26

Anybody else sense that he payed off the inspectors. What they had to say just doesn't seem right.
Top 10 rollercoasters 1: X2 2: Maverick 3: Leviathan 4: Millennium Force 5: Top Thrill Dragster 6: Rip Ride Rockit 7: Sheikra 8: Tatsu 9: Behemoth 10: Manta

2012 ride count -Leviathan:68 Behemoth:29 Vortex:12

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 21 Sep 2012, 22:49

as much as Holer is a complete jerk .... I am sure that theres two sides to the story.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 510 (steel 400, wood 110)

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by xlcanada » 22 Sep 2012, 00:49

Dom497 wrote:No surprise here.... completely saw this one coming....

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... -of-health
Personally, it's hard to get anything from CAZA when Marineland is part of the group. The investigation may be biased and they may be protecting Marineland since they are one of their own. Remember: there are no governmental regulations on sea mammals and most of these enforcements are made through CAZA.

A proper investigation should be a group with no affiliation to Marineland. I am interested in hearing what OSPCA has to say as their investigation still isn't completed.

chadta
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by chadta » 22 Sep 2012, 05:36

DantheMan wrote:It amazes me how many people are jumping on board with criticizing Holer and saying he is "trash". The fact is that you are accepting heresay, rather than actual facts.
Not at all Dan, I am basing whatever i say on pictures my family took just the week before the star broke this, personally i dont really care, but when my kids are visibly upset at the condition of the animals they see when they go to a park, i have a real problem with it.

I think i have them linked in my facebook account, from the bleeding antlers on the deer, to the clumpy skinny bears, to the algae green whale water, I was not impressed.

I am not going to join any sort of protest, i wont even read any articles, i just wont be spending any of my money at that facility.