La Ronde - Montreal, QC

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: La Ronde - Montreal, QC

Post by Johnny Au » 02 Sep 2016, 15:22

I wonder if La Ronde would get an interactive 4D dark ride. It doesn't have to be Battle for Metropolis (in English or in French). It could be made by Triotech rather than Sally even (if Triotech isn't completely tied to Cedar Fair).

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 02 Sep 2016, 15:42

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ronde_(amusement_park)

It mentions that it has a Nintendo pavilion that sells official Nintendo products. I took a look at La Ronde's website and there is zero mention of it. What happened? Does this mean that Montrealers who want to visit an official store would have to travel south to Manhattan to do so?
Last edited by Johnny Au on 03 Sep 2016, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Honorarius » 02 Sep 2016, 22:21

I spent 2 days there this summer, and don't recall seeing it... According to the revision history on Wikipedia, the mention of the store was made a fair while ago... It may have been removed since then and the article not revised...

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 27 Dec 2016, 16:08

According to a rumour on Screamscape, La Ronde may be removing Cobra in the near future from the park as the coaster is no longer mentioned on the park's website. Cobra is a rare Intamin stand up coaster which originally operated at Skara Sommarland from 1988 to 1994 as Stand Up. It was relocated to La Ronde and has been operating there since 1995. Is this the end for stand-up coasters in Canada? Or, is it possible that La Ronde could be heavily refurbishing Cobra and installing custom stand-up trains from B&M to lengthen the life of Cobra? We will just have to wait and see what La Ronde's plans are for Cobra. 8)

Photo credit: Paul Drabek via Negative-G
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 29 Dec 2016, 23:46

This has been long rumoured to be leaving the park. La Ronde is long overdue for a new coaster - the last new one was Goliath in 2007. This space could easily fit one of those new fangled Free Spin coasters ;-)
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 510 (steel 400, wood 110)

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 02 Jan 2017, 19:45

I wonder if the Nintendo Experience would still be active during the 2017 season to capitalize on the Nintendo Switch.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Honorarius » 19 Jan 2017, 18:18

Even if they were to remove it and put in something new, I have zero confidence that they'd be able to do it well... Seriously, management there shouldn't be allowed to run a lemonade stand, much less an amusement park...

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 20 Jan 2017, 15:38

If Six Flags want to run a theme park in Canada, it should terminate the contract to run La Ronde, revert ownership to the City of Montreal, and purchase Marineland (and re-theme and rename it Six Flags over Niagara, as well as remove all wild animals there).

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 29 May 2017, 11:53

Just as the 2017 season begins at La Ronde, a couple of rides have since been closed and slated for removal. One of the two rides that have been closed that is to be removed is the Cobra (Intamin Stand-up Coaster) which opened at the park in 1995 after being relocated from Skara Sommarland as Stand-Up from 1988 until 1994. Cobra closed near the end of the 2016 season and disappeared from the website shortly after. It has become evident that it is being removed as it was not included on the 2017 park map which was recently released on the park's website.

La Ronde just announced that Pitoune will not be re-opening for the 2017 as it has reached the end of its useful life. The Pitoune log flume opened back in 1967 for the Expo '67 and was constructed by Arrow Dynamics. There are no announcements yet as to what will replace both attractions.

In other news, below is a photo of the all-new for 2017 Titan in operation at La Ronde. 8)

[imgresize 600x400]https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/42/60/45/img_2915.jpg[/imgresize]
Photo credit: malou_pitawawa via Xtreme La Ronde
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca