Geauga Lake - Aurora, OH

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Geauga Lake - Aurora, OH

Post by Dom497 » 19 May 2014, 14:49

An article about the history of Geauga Lake has been written online. I found it a very interesting read.

http://www.wkyc.com/longform/news/local ... e/9279255/

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Geauga Lake: From Icon to Eyesore

Post by Johnlloyd » 19 Sep 2014, 08:40

This is Geauga Lake related so I thought I'd just add it here. The other day while browsing around I happened to find the Sky Tower that operated at Geauga Lake still for sale here http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1735. I find that surprising that Cedar Fair didn't scrap the 1974 Intamin Gyro Tower from Geauga Lake yet. I didn't even know it was still around let alone for sale. I guess Cedar Fair wants to make extra money if someone is willing to buy it that is. According to Geauga Lake Today the Intamin Gyro Tower known as the Sky Scraper was SBNO since the end of the (shortened) 2007 season and was finally taken down in July 2009. (http://geaugalaketoday.com/Skyscraper.htm) I'm quite surprised no one had purchased it before way back in 2008 or 2009 when it was still in decent condition, which was much better than it is today. I think this is the one of the last rides that hasn't been sold yet since the closure Geauga Lake back in 2007. I also believe this Huss Bee Bee ride (http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1627) matches the description of the one that operated at Geauga Lake as Thriller Bees, even though the pictures seen are Huss' pictures and not of those from Geauga Lake. Also, El Dorado has been up for sale since 2011 since it's removal from Kings Dominion which had previously operated at Geauga Lake too (http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1523). I wonder if any of the previous Geauga Lake rides that are up for sale will ever find a permanent home ever again? I just find it odd how there are still rides from a park that has been closed now for almost a decade that still aren't sold. Just thought I'd share the information I found about the where-about of some of the previous rides of Geauga Lake. 8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 19 Sep 2014, 11:29

I can't speak for those that are up for sale, but I know 15 or so rides from Geauga Lake ended up at Schlitterbahn Kansas City. I took a construction tour there with ACE in 2009, and it was neat seeing all the ride parts stored there - they even took the log flume and the river rafting vehicles.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 510 (steel 400, wood 110)

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 19 Sep 2014, 15:53

bratman wrote:I can't speak for those that are up for sale, but I know 15 or so rides from Geauga Lake ended up at Schlitterbahn Kansas City. I took a construction tour there with ACE in 2009, and it was neat seeing all the ride parts stored there - they even took the log flume and the river rafting vehicles.
That's interesting. Did they ever set up these rides at Schlitterbahn Kansas City? I know it's a water park but I was wondering if they used any of these rides to create a "dry" section of the park yet or did they never use them? But, I do find that information you gave very interesting Bratman. 8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 19 Sep 2014, 18:52

I dont think they have yet. When I took the tour, they explained that the park is a long term project that will end up being over 300 acres in size - about the size of Wonderland. There will be hotels/resorts, shopping, and I guess a rides area will be thrown in as well.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 22 Sep 2014, 19:15

bratman wrote:I dont think they have yet. When I took the tour, they explained that the park is a long term project that will end up being over 300 acres in size - about the size of Wonderland. There will be hotels/resorts, shopping, and I guess a rides area will be thrown in as well.
That would be interesting to see. That would turn out to be a large resort. I wonder if they'd build a small portion of the water park indoors and amusement rides indoors to accommodate winter visitors and also to create more revenue if they went the resort way? That would be neat because it would give many people in the area of Kansas City something to do and see during the (long) winter months. 8)

Update!

I was just researching the aerial views of Schlitterbahn Kansas City on Google Earth, using historical imagery and just by looking by the pictures below it appears that in their bone yard the rides bought from Geauga Lake appear to have disappeared during the past couple of years. I don't know whether they were scrapped or moved into an indoor facility to preserve them from rusting away? Or were they possibly resold? It's possible Schlitterbahn Kansas City changed there plans slightly. I hope not though because it sounded like such a great idea for a fairly new water park going into the future. 8)

Here are the aerial pictures below using Google Earth Historical Imagery.
Schlitterbahn Bone Yard September 2012.jpg
September 2012
Schlitterbahn Bone Yard September 2013.jpg
September 2013
Schlitterbahn Bone Yard May 2014.jpg
May 2014

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 22 Sep 2014, 19:52

That looks like a general cleanup of the park to me.

Found a couple of photos from my day there. And, no, thats not me in the pictures. Also, behind the sign, thats Geauga's old floating bridge. Taken in June 2009, ACE tour of the construction site.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 22 Sep 2014, 20:05

Nice photos of old Geauga Lake water rides that were bought by Schlitterbahn Kansas City. I find it odd that they bought the water bridge because there doesn't appear to be a lake around Schlitterbahn Kansas City like Geauga Lake had during it's amusement park days. It makes me wonder now where those rides ended up. The majority of the ones they bought back in 2009 appeared to be in good condition but I guess leaving them outside for about five years can really deteriorate there overall condition after awhile. But if they were in still good condition they could have been bought by another amusement park by now. 8)

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 22 Sep 2014, 20:38

I did just read somewhere that the lug flume boats have become planters at Schlitterbahn.

I have been talking to my wife tonight. She and I went to Schlitterbahn New Braunfels for an ACE event in 2011 and she has been wanting to go back. We are planning on going to western Illinois next June as part of an extensive trip that will eventually see us go to Coaster Con in New Jersey. Anyways, we will be 4 hours from Schlitterbahn Kansas City - and now we are talking of including that in our trip. So, if we go, I can check out what remains of the Geuaga Lake attractions.

As for a lake at Schlittlerbahn - when I was there they were building an artificial one, and they had Geauga's old ferries there in drydock. So, who knows....

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 30 Sep 2014, 08:53

According to this article (http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.ca/2009/0 ... -gone.html) the Sky Tower was sold to someone who wanted to sell it for scrap but then they decided to put it up for sale, and then it was sold again. But now since this article was created it's up for sale again. For some reason I doubt it'll find a home now as it's probably in the worst condition possible now. Too bad though because it looked like an amazing Sky Tower despite it's age. Maybe Cedar Fair should have just left the Intamin Gyro Tower standing like the one on Boblo Island has been since the park closed back in September 1993. It's odd how sales of amusement rides don't always work out as planned in the end. 8)

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 30 Sep 2014, 20:15

I should also mention.... the first water slides on site at Schlitterbahn KC came from Geauga as well. I found more pictures from that tour on my PC - I may upload them at some time.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 30 Sep 2014, 21:13

bratman wrote:I should also mention.... the first water slides on site at Schlitterbahn KC came from Geauga as well. I found more pictures from that tour on my PC - I may upload them at some time.
Nice information Bratman. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of rides from Geauga Lake. :D I assume these slides came from Hurricane Hannah's water park that was located within the ride side before Cedar Fair built Wild Water Kingdom across the lake. I also think the water slides (most of them) within Hurricane Hannah's were in good condition in order to move to Schlitterbahn and be used relatively soon after. I find it odd though how Geauga Lake didn't relocate the slides over to the newly built Wild Water Kingdom across the lake. Was there a reason why they didn't move the slides from Hurricane Hannah's to across the lake? Anyways can't wait to see more photos. Just wondering, but had anyone been to Geauga Lake before it's 2007 "season end" closure? Just wondering because I'm interested in knowing if the park was great before it's final years. 8)

jetscreamlover
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by jetscreamlover » 04 Oct 2014, 19:36

Johnlloyd wrote:Just wondering, but had anyone been to Geauga Lake before it's 2007 "season end" closure? Just wondering because I'm interested in knowing if the park was great before it's final years. 8)
I visited Geauga lake in June 2007. The park was not very busy but I went during the week. The old water park on the ride side was a big eyesore. Some parts of the park were ok and the areas were rides used to be were left vacant. I did enjoy almost all of the coasters, especially Big Dipper. I got serious airtime on that coaster. Thunderhawk (Vekoma SLC) was extremely smooth and very fun to ride. Villian was bumpy and not really good (and it was only 7 years old).

Even with the former Sea world side open that park still felt small. I kept saying to myself, "What was Six Flags thinking?!!" trying to make this park compete with Cedar Point. I believe this has been mentioned before on other coaster forums but I think SF should not have done a big expansion in such a short time. They should have spread it out. If they did that Geauga Lake could possibly still be open today.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 06 Oct 2014, 16:13

jetscreamlover wrote:
I visited Geauga lake in June 2007. The park was not very busy but I went during the week. The old water park on the ride side was a big eyesore. Some parts of the park were ok and the areas were rides used to be were left vacant. I did enjoy almost all of the coasters, especially Big Dipper. I got serious airtime on that coaster. Thunderhawk (Vekoma SLC) was extremely smooth and very fun to ride. Villian was bumpy and not really good (and it was only 7 years old).

Even with the former Sea world side open that park still felt small. I kept saying to myself, "What was Six Flags thinking?!!" trying to make this park compete with Cedar Point. I believe this has been mentioned before on other coaster forums but I think SF should not have done a big expansion in such a short time. They should have spread it out. If they did that Geauga Lake could possibly still be open today.
Jetscreamlover, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Geauga Lake during it's final months and season of operation. I've heard and read that the park was an eyesore in some sections especially where they had removed Steel Venom and X-Flight during the 2006 season, before the 2007 season. Also where they had closed Hurricane Hannah's water park was ugly judging from pictures I had seen from various websites. I'm also glad to hear that the Vekoma SLC; Thunderhawk, was a smooth coaster. After Geauga Lake closed it went to Michigan's Adventure for the 2008 season. Apparently from some websites I've read it's still smooth to this day and visitors at Michigan's Adventure really enjoy it. Too bad Flight Deck isn't smooth, I guess it depends on how the SLCs are maintained (or just luck). :lol: Also, just by your description Big Dipper was an amazing wooden coaster which proved that newer isn't always better.

Moving on to the other side of the park now, wasn't it kind of awkward getting to the other side of the park as there was no "round" path? By reading former reviews on the park and looking on Google Earth it appears there was a floating bridge to get to Wild Water Kingdom across the lake along with a path that went near Raging Wolf Bobs. To me the layout of Geauga Lake looked a tad annoying but since I've never been I wouldn't know. ;) I totally agree that Six Flags expanded Geauga Lake (Six Flags Ohio/ Worlds of Adventure way too fast during the year 2000 and until the end of 2003. But for Six Flags to buy Sea World seemed ridiculous as I think it was more than they could handle especially since the attendance of the park wasn't big. I agree that Geauga Lake still could be open today if the park didn't expand way too fast and just gradually spread it out over the years. I'm not too sure which owner was the worst after Premier bought the park from Funtime in the mid-90's but I think Cedar Fair brought in larger crowds than Six Flags did mainly because the admission prices were lowered considerably. But I'm not fully sure yet mainly because I need to read more reviews. Once again, Thank-you Jetscreamlover for your review and the information you provided about Geauga Lake. 8)

jetscreamlover
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by jetscreamlover » 13 Oct 2014, 17:32

Johnlloyd wrote:Moving on to the other side of the park now, wasn't it kind of awkward getting to the other side of the park as there was no "round" path? By reading former reviews on the park and looking on Google Earth it appears there was a floating bridge to get to Wild Water Kingdom across the lake along with a path that went near Raging Wolf Bobs. To me the layout of Geauga Lake looked a tad annoying but since I've never been I wouldn't know. ;) Once again, Thank-you Jetscreamlover for your review and the information you provided about Geauga Lake. 8)
Sorry for the delay. You are welcome. I always appreciate your questions. Geauga Lake actually did have a round path. They had the floating bridge and also THAT path near Raging Wolf Bobs was usuable for guests. For most of the day on that path they had a tram that would take you from the ride side to the water park side and vice-versa. There was also a walk path if you chose not to use the tram, you just had to stick to one side. I chose to walk that path because I did not feel like using the tram.