Geauga Lake - Aurora, OH

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Geauga Lake: From Icon to Eyesore

Post by Johnlloyd » 13 Oct 2014, 19:42

Jetscreamlover, did you happen to ride Double Loop when you visited Geauga Lake back in 2007? Apparently it was quite smooth for an Arrow Dynamics custom Looping coaster. Also, I've read that Head Spin (the Vekoma Boomerang) was one of the smoothest as well. It's quite interesting to hear that one of the most disorganized parks had some of the smoothest coasters. Too bad Geauga Lake still isn't around, it seemed like a fun and exciting place to be if you were near Cleveland, Ohio. Too bad it had it's issues. 8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

jetscreamlover
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by jetscreamlover » 17 Oct 2014, 17:08

I sure did. I enjoyed it. But I also love Arrow loopers. I love the track design. It had a simple layout. Head Spin was ok. They had older style Vekoma trains that felt strange when you rode in the very front. If I recall correctly the leg room was awkward. I know that when it was relocated to Carowinds they got the newer style trains with the comfortable restraints. I have yet to ride one of those trains though. The park was nice (and small). It was more of a traditional park than a theme park. Big Dipper was awesome.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 17 Oct 2014, 19:58

jetscreamlover wrote:I sure did. I enjoyed it. But I also love Arrow loopers. I love the track design. It had a simple layout. Head Spin was ok. They had older style Vekoma trains that felt strange when you rode in the very front. If I recall correctly the leg room was awkward. I know that when it was relocated to Carowinds they got the newer style trains with the comfortable restraints. I have yet to ride one of those trains though. The park was nice (and small). It was more of a traditional park than a theme park. Big Dipper was awesome.
I'm an Arrow lover too. I enjoy all Arrow Coasters I've been on so far which include Dragon Fire, Vortex, Adventure Express (Kings Island), The Bat (Kings Island), and especially Vortex (kings Island). Yes, I've also heard that the older and newer Vekoma trains are tighter near the front. I've heard that the newest trains released by Vekoma are much better but still slightly rough, but every coaster has some sort of roughness. I've also read and heard that Big Dipper was an excellent wooden coaster, too bad it wasn't relocated but maybe that had to do something with it's age or finding a buyer. Kind of too late now. At least you have wonderful memories of a park that many will remember and also one that many will never get a chance to visit.8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

Texas Twister
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Texas Twister » 15 Jan 2015, 21:09

I remember going to Geauga Lake every year for about 18 years (this was because my mom moved down to North Canton) so I got to witness first hand all the transformations the park went through. As you mentioned Boomerang was really smooth, I also found Serial Thriller the smoothest Vekoma SLC that I have ever been on....

It still upsets me what happened to this park, it was one of the most unique amusement parks I've been too... The camping was fantastic too....

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 20 Jan 2015, 10:01

Here is another interesting article about the failure of Geauga Lake that was created back in September. http://www.themeparktourist.com/feature ... isappeared

Texas Twister, it sounds like you have many fond memories of Geauga Lake that many will never have. I find it quite interesting that you were able to see and experience the major changes and transformation of the park during those years, which ultimately lead to it's end. It appeared to be a nice destination for a day of fun and thrills for the whole family before it transformed into a Six Flags park. I believe Geauga Lake was at its peak when Premiere Parks acquired it from Funtime in 1995. Now, I think Geauga Lake would have been profitable if it had stayed the size it was throughout the 1990's. I think Geauga Lake was destroyed when it was transformed to Six Flags Ohio (later Six Flags Worlds of Adventures) since Premiere Parks had purchased the chain in the late 1990's. I mean it expanded too fast with the addition of more rides and roller coasters in just one year and the couple of years to follow. I think the acquisition of Sea World was a major disaster as well from what I've read. From what I've read, Geauga Lake and Sea World were great neighbors for about 30 years until the 21st century when Sea World couldn't expand and build rides.

If I were in the shoes of one of the parks' managers, I would have came up with an idea where visitors could have access to both parks by purchasing a one day special admission ticket for those wanting to visit both parks along with the individual park tickets that were being offered at the time by the individual parks. I believe both parks would have benefited from this ticket option if it were available. I think this would have attracted more visitors to both parks, which would have caused both of these parks to thrive over the years and possibly remain open to this day if there had of been a ticket option of such rather than having one large park, that lost profits because of a fast expansion. Too bad you can't go back into the past and change some decisions. 8)

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 26 Feb 2015, 20:37

I came across something quite interesting today on "Geauga Lake's" Facebook page. Late last week, Geauga Lake apart of http://www.geaugalaketoday.com/ posted photos of t-shirts available for purchase in order to make people aware of the park's current condition situation, including the Big Dipper. By selling these t-shirts, Geauga Lake Today hopes to one day, make Geauga Lake operational, so future generations can enjoy the park like past generations had until its closure in 2007 instead of turning the land into commercial or residential complexes. Below is a photo of both the yellow and grey t-shirts with different designs. I find this quite interesting how so many want Geauga Lake to reopen again. It may happen, but in a way I kind of doubt it as Cedar Fair I believe still owns the property as bundles, and not all one thing. I congratulate the people behind Geauga Lake Today for having dreams and aspirations of reopening Geauga Lake. It sure will be an uphill battle. Hopefully the t-shirt sales create awareness to the general public which will hopefully lead to an opening one day in the near future and the operation of the Big Dipper. 8)
Save Geauga Lake T-shirts.PNG
Save Geauga Lake T-shirts.PNG (143.4 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Here is the link to Geauga Lake's Facebook page for more information about the sales of the t-shirts:
https://www.facebook.com/geauga.lake

RealisticTrain
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by RealisticTrain » 26 Feb 2015, 21:55

I still don't see Geauga Lake ever being active again. No company in their right mind would invest the millions of dollars needed to open the park, let alone get new attractions for it and make it popular. I don't see this ever happening :(

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 27 Feb 2015, 00:27

Geauga Lake should have used Kickstarter or Indiegogo and have more than just t-shirts as rewards/perks. It could have included VIP passes, naming rights to a roller coaster, seats with the name of a backer who pledged a certain amount, exclusive behind-the-scenes tours, reserved parking spaces, and such.

This would entice people from Ohio and Pennsylvania (and beyond) to pledge to save the park.

RealisticTrain
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by RealisticTrain » 27 Feb 2015, 21:36

But you could NEVER crowdsource $150 million. It's just not going to happen unless CF decides to open.

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 19 Mar 2015, 22:25

Anyone here have a feeling that Cedar Fair may end up also trying to sell Wild Water Kingdom at Geauga Lake? Cedar Fair has recently sold off their two other stand alone waterparks (in California) and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened for Wild Water Kingdom at Geauga Lake.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 20 Mar 2015, 08:08

canadaswonderlandguy wrote:Anyone here have a feeling that Cedar Fair may end up also trying to sell Wild Water Kingdom at Geauga Lake? Cedar Fair has recently sold off their two other stand alone waterparks (in California) and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened for Wild Water Kingdom at Geauga Lake.
I don't think Cedar Fair will try selling Wild Water Kingdom as, I think they're afraid to loose that land. But, if they did sell that Water Park, I don't think they'd sell the former Geauga Lake park land just so that no amusement park could be there and possibly compete with their much beloved, Cedar Point. But, maybe selling Wild Water Kingdom would be the best thing they could do because I don't see that park making any expansions unless a new owner takes over. Too bad they didn't sell Geauga Lake to a new owner. I doubt the amusement park would've competed with Cedar Point as they've both been around for about the same amount of time with no difficulties until the end of Geauga Lake. It's such a shame. Geauga Lake looked amazing. 8)

kunpc1
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

Post by kunpc1 » 05 Apr 2015, 07:01

Cedar Fair wants to sell the former amusement park property. This was the plan when they closed down the park however, due to the terrible timing of the closure with the economic downturn, they had to hold on to the property. The land will most likely be rezoned and used for future residential and commercial development. As for the waterpark side, I'm sure they would be more than happy to sell it off as well if they were offered the right price.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

chadta
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by chadta » 06 May 2015, 16:48

Johnlloyd wrote:Jetscreamlover, did you happen to ride Double Loop when you visited Geauga Lake back in 2007? Apparently it was quite smooth for an Arrow Dynamics custom Looping coaster. Also, I've read that Head Spin (the Vekoma Boomerang) was one of the smoothest as well. It's quite interesting to hear that one of the most disorganized parks had some of the smoothest coasters. Too bad Geauga Lake still isn't around, it seemed like a fun and exciting place to be if you were near Cleveland, Ohio. Too bad it had it's issues. 8)
Not only was headspin really smooth, their version of top gun, or flight deck whatever its called now, was amazing, its now at michigans great adventure, not sure if it still offers the same ride, head spin at carowinds is still smooth as can be, dont like the restraints on it tho. Dominator is just as good at kings dominion, and Xflight is still always broken at Kings Island. Dipper was a funner version of blue streak, it just seamed faster and more out of control. Villian I hated, found it rough as heck, and ragging wolf bobs was closed or broken everytime i went.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 06 May 2015, 17:12

Nice to hear your personal experience of Geauga Lake, Chadta! I've heard Geauga Lake's Vekoma SLC was very smooth and still continues to produce a smooth ride to this day at Michigan's Adventure. Too bad Flight Deck isn't that smooth. Yeah, I've read some older reviews on Villain and many people said it was very rough and uncomfortable even though it was a new coaster and I've also read that the Big Dipper did feel as if it were out of control. Like I've said before, Geauga Lake appeared to be an excellent park but, it looks like it'll never return now. Luckily it was enjoyed by many during it's 118 years. 8)

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Geauga Lake - Aurora, OH

Post by Johnlloyd » 18 Dec 2015, 14:58

This was announced on December 9th. It looks like Meijer will be building one of their stores on the former Geauga Lake property. Meijer had bought 41 acres of land recently from Cedar Fair. Many now wonder what fate is in store for the Big Dipper that has been sitting there since the park closed back in 2007. 8)