Skyscraper at SkyPlex - Orlando, FL

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Skyscraper at SkyPlex - Orlando, FL

Post by Duck » 08 Jun 2014, 08:36

http://attractionsmagazine.com/skyscrap ... ercoaster/

http://www.usthrillrides.com/products/polercoaster/

After S&S hinted they'd be building one of these this year, it's finally announced: "SkyScraper" at Skyplex, the first "Polercoaster". For those who don't know, it's a combo observation tower with a roller coaster wrapped around it. The technology is S&S's updated "El Loco" model (as at Adventuredome in Las Vegas). Layout is rumoured to be done by Ride Centreline (Alan Schilke) so I have high hopes for this one - some really cool manoeuvres and stuff, way up high.

From a technical standpoint, I'm most interested in what the lift technology will be - with it being a big spiral, I wonder if it'll be self-powered like the Schwarzkopf Jet coasters? The lift will be so long, I can't imagine they'll want to use drive tires or a curved chain or anything like that (maintenance/wear/etc). Self powered kind of makes the most sense, in this case...

Something unique to look forward to in 2016. Hope it goes through.
I've ridden 451 different coasters around the world.

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Skyscraper at SkyPlex

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 08 Jun 2014, 10:05

Wow, this is amazing! I'm glad this will take over as the tallest roller coaster in the world (I find it frustrating when roller coaster are built for the sheer purpose of breaking records [*cough* Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka cough*). If all goes well with this, I would love to see Wonderland or Cedar Point get one of these one day! And they say they can be built up to 1000 feet! Yikes! Definitely something I would be terrified to try, but would probably force myself into.
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Honorarius » 08 Jun 2014, 11:44

What an interesting idea!!! A creative way to get a lot out of a small footprint...

StEC
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by StEC » 08 Jun 2014, 11:54

Would love one of these wrapped around the CN Tower! :lol:
Niagara Falls deserves a world class amusement/theme park and Marineland is not it!

loop-de-loop
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by loop-de-loop » 08 Jun 2014, 13:37

StEC wrote:Would love one of these wrapped around the CN Tower! :lol:
This!!!
Ty-rant_13 wrote:Wow, this is amazing! I'm glad this will take over as the tallest roller coaster in the world (I find it frustrating when roller coaster are built for the sheer purpose of breaking records [*cough* Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka cough*). If all goes well with this, I would love to see Wonderland or Cedar Point get one of these one day! And they say they can be built up to 1000 feet! Yikes! Definitely something I would be terrified to try, but would probably force myself into.
. What's wrong with building coasters for records? This coaster looks more like an afterthought, like "we have an observation tower, let's build a roller coaster around it to take the height record" Dragster and Kingda Ka look more exciting to me.

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 08 Jun 2014, 19:55

To me, going really fast along a straight stretch and then one (or two in the case of Kingda Ka) hills is pretty boring (granted I have not been on them). This ride actually has several hills, inversions, loops, spirals, and anything else you want, depending on how tall the tower is. Take advantage of height to allow for more stuff in one footprint, rather than take up a huge chunk of land for one/two thrills that last about twenty seconds. Building coasters specifically for a record is lame, to me, because it takes away from building something truly awesome. Leviathan has the longest single chain lift in the world, and (I believe) the tallest unsupported lift hill crest, but that's not all that the ride is. Banshee is the world's longest invert, but it's not just a straight stretch of track angling slowly downward, it's full of inversions and other elements. I can see the appeal of Dragster and KK to some, but definitely not for me. I simply expect more out of a coaster. To me, TTD may as well be considered a flat ride. KK is a little better (though, I never trust Six Flags). Don't hate me, it's just my personal opinion.
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

sheldonmans14

Post by sheldonmans14 » 08 Jun 2014, 20:43

As someone who has ridden both Kingda Ka and TTD I can attest that the ride is more than a large hill. The launch is one of the most intense feelings I've ever had on a roller coaster. It is incredible. Just because the ride is short doesn't mean it is bad. Im terms of the Skyscraper, it looks fun and I would love to ride it if it came closer to Toronto.
Haunt is gone.
Behemoth Ride Count: 89
Leviathan Ride Count: 8

greghill
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by greghill » 08 Jun 2014, 20:44

I personally really enjoy top thrill, its amazing to go that fast up such a big hill
Also, I find kdk is actually not as good, the launch pulls you roughly, and the second hill does nothing.

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Duck » 08 Jun 2014, 21:25

Ka is awful; I don't really care if I ever ride it again. Train surges on the launch and fishtails something awful. TTD is far more enjoyable/rideable. It's bizarre how different those two rides are.
I've ridden 451 different coasters around the world.

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 08 Jun 2014, 22:19

I would wonder what would the B&M equivalent of TTD and Kingda Ka would be. I bet that B&M would build their equivalent in Wonderland.

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by xlcanada » 08 Jun 2014, 22:47

^ A hybrid of The Incredible Hulk and Bullet Roller Coaster (by S&S). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k7H2z0MHZs
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Honorarius » 09 Jun 2014, 00:34

Also, if the price point they`re estimating at in the article is correct, that would also make me very, very happy...

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 20 Nov 2014, 08:38

Here is a simulation video of Skyscraper, the proposed World's tallest roller coaster. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZTfHXEw40
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 20 Nov 2014, 13:13

Well, there goes GateKeeper's "world's highest inversion" record. At least it can still claim it until 2017.
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

HAUNT MANIAC
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by HAUNT MANIAC » 20 Nov 2014, 16:40

Could we ever hope one of these could some day be built at Wonderland. 1000 feet high would need a very large footprint. Like say, the area where Skyrider was. Just saying . . . I wonder what the huge price tag would be for a structure like this?