Carowinds - Charlotte, NC

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
loop-de-loop
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by loop-de-loop » 19 Sep 2013, 22:19

Carowinds is rumoured to be getting a giga coaster for $30 million, according to a closed-session transcript the Charlotte City Council released Wednesday. With Cedar Fair's success with B&M, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a B&M.

On a slightly related note, if anyone wants a good laugh, just go to TPR and read the comments in the Carowinds thread. It's just a bunch of people bashing Leviathan, calling it boring, saying it was a stupid addition, saying it was a waste of money, saying it is like a park adding an SLC...

I know Leviathan isn't the greatest coaster in the world, but some of the "experts" on that site really surprise me at how they think they know the amusement industry (I'm not saying I do), when they make stupid comments themselves. I'd go and defend it, but I don't want to get banned. ;)

Anyway, what do you think about this news?

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Carowinds

Post by bratman » 19 Sep 2013, 22:39

The news is good .... Carowinds is a park poised to expand. This will give the park a 3rd world class coaster.

I am not going to go to TPR to check it out (I avoid that site like the plague), but what you said there speaks for itself.... and I will leave it at that ;)
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 510 (steel 400, wood 110)

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 20 Sep 2013, 14:50

I am going to doubt that the giga coaster at Carowinds is going to be manufactured by B&M. In case some of you have not heard Walter Bolliger says that the only reason why B&M built Canada's Wonderland a Giga coaster is because of an inverted coaster that could not have been built due to Cedar Point's exclusivity clause at the time. Carowinds has yet to have an issue with exclusivity clauses so B&M probably doesn't have a reason to build them a giga coaster.

jokey
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by jokey » 22 Sep 2013, 10:50

^Maybe if they ask nicely then B&M would build one for them ;)

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by xlcanada » 22 Sep 2013, 21:10

canadaswonderlandguy wrote:I am going to doubt that the giga coaster at Carowinds is going to be manufactured by B&M. In case some of you have not heard Walter Bolliger says that the only reason why B&M built Canada's Wonderland a Giga coaster is because of an inverted coaster that could not have been built due to Cedar Point's exclusivity clause at the time. Carowinds has yet to have an issue with exclusivity clauses so B&M probably doesn't have a reason to build them a giga coaster.
Do you have a source for that? If the park asks for a Giga, why not?

Carowinds is a good park. I love Afterburn, my first B&M invert. Vortex is a decent stand up coaster that doesn't give me a head-inducing coma. Based on Carowinds history with B&M already, it will most likely be a B&M Giga.
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 22 Sep 2013, 23:03

xlcanada wrote:
canadaswonderlandguy wrote:I am going to doubt that the giga coaster at Carowinds is going to be manufactured by B&M. In case some of you have not heard Walter Bolliger says that the only reason why B&M built Canada's Wonderland a Giga coaster is because of an inverted coaster that could not have been built due to Cedar Point's exclusivity clause at the time. Carowinds has yet to have an issue with exclusivity clauses so B&M probably doesn't have a reason to build them a giga coaster.

Carowinds is a good park. I love Afterburn, my first B&M invert. Vortex is a decent stand up coaster that doesn't give me a head-inducing coma. Based on Carowinds history with B&M already, it will most likely be a B&M Giga.
I had the source a few months ago but then I lost it however If I do find it I will post it on here. Although If Carowinds does have a good history with B&M maybe they could get one.

Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Dom497 » 23 Sep 2013, 08:51

canadaswonderlandguy wrote:
xlcanada wrote:

I had the source a few months ago but then I lost it however If I do find it I will post it on here. Although If Carowinds does have a good history with B&M maybe they could get one.
Your source was RollerCoaster! Magazine's interview with Wonderland's GM, correct?

B&M has said that if someone wants them to make a launch, they'll make a launch so saying that they would refuse to build a giga for Carowinds is quite the assumption. Just because they built a giga because they could't build an invert years ago doesn't mean they'll never make another one...

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 23 Sep 2013, 15:00

Yep you are correct! Speaking of that I probably heard some stuff wrong with the interview. However now thinking about Carowinds history with B&M I do see it being a possibility. Sorry about the confusion everybody.

denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by denning » 25 Sep 2013, 12:52

Talk about mixing rumors. The Cedar Point B&M inverted deal applied to a 500 mile radious. As such both Wonderland and Kings Island could not have B&M inverteds.

According to rumor, and confirmed by the park, back in 1995 they asked Cedar Point for an exception to waive the clause for Wonderland since if I recall Wonderland was actually 485 miles away and in a different country. Cedar Point refused. Wonderland had to go with the second choice and Vekoma for Top Gun. Great Adventure in Calfornia and Carawinds got the B&M Top Gun. Kings Island waited.

Now that Cedar Fair owns Wonderland and Kings Island. That exclusvity issue is null and void. Finally Kings Island is getting an inverted coaster despite being less than 200 miles away from Cedar Point.

B&M may have felt they "owed" Wonderland something in return and in that regard have a good working relationship seeing that both Behemoth (new trains) and Levianthan were prototype coasters. But to think that won't sell another giga coaster to the same company's sister park is assinine.

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 25 Sep 2013, 16:41

That exclusivity zone was actually 200 miles - and Wonderland is 198 from Cedar Point, "as the crow flies" (straight line).

I am sure that the exclusivity agreement had a time limit, as well - I am sure that has expired by now.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 510 (steel 400, wood 110)

denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by denning » 27 Sep 2013, 10:13

Right on the 200 miles. My bad had 200 in one place but 500 in aother.

I can't imagine the difference being actually only two miles. Probably a bit of a tall tale now.

You would think there could be enough legal arguments made to get the final two miles sorted out. whether to count property boundries, acutal coaster, or entrance stations as start point. For example a simple move like placing the coaster were leviathan is now on the northn boundries surely could have gotten the distance small enough where it would be impossible to enforce.

Switching sides now Cedar Point may purposely negotiated for the original boundries with exlcuding Wonderland in mind and actually put that park into a schedule. So the crow-eye's distance may be a red herring.

Would have loved to have been invovled in those discussions.

GigaMan89
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by GigaMan89 » 07 Jul 2014, 16:15

The following blueprints of the Carowinds 2015 "giga coaster" project have been posted on Screamscape:

Looks very similar to Leviathan, with more features added.

BlackBirdSR1
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by BlackBirdSR1 » 13 Aug 2014, 17:22

What does everyone think about the huge announcement coming from Carowinds and what do you think it will be?
"Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children."
~Walt Disney

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Carowinds Giga?

Post by xlcanada » 21 Aug 2014, 10:50

10 more minutes!!! Ahhh!

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Carowinds Giga?

Post by xlcanada » 21 Aug 2014, 11:03

Slowest announcement ever. Band still playing... let's get moving Carowinds!