Six Flags Magic Mountain - Valencia, CA

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 13 Jul 2014, 21:21

http://www.latimes.com/business/travel/ ... story.html

Don't know how we've missed this so far, but exactly as the title describes, the suspended coaster "Ninja" had it's first car derailed, but still hanging on to the track. No deaths, but a few people were taken to the hospital after the three hour rescue and now Six Flags is being sued. The cause of the derailment was a tree falling onto the track. The train struck the tree and seems to have caused the wheels to separate from the track.

I really don't trust Six Flags, but I feel like this wasn't really their fault. The only way I see this accident being prevented is if they inspected the trees to see if they were likely to fall in the near future. Or, depending on when the tree fell, stopping the ride on the lift if the tree fell before it crested the first hill (though I believe it fell after).

Unfortunate incident, but I think we can all still ride Vortex in comfort! :D
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

RealisticTrain
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Ninja Partially Derailed at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Post by RealisticTrain » 13 Jul 2014, 21:42

I was inline for The Bat when they lift stopped the ride due to a branch on the track. Hopefully nothing like this will happen at CW since our employees are pretty well trained.

Also, it just so happened that I was on the subway platform in Toronto watching the little CP24 news ticker heading to CW, and this came on by. Suffice to say, I was a bit freaked out that I had heard about it on my way there.

MagicMountainFan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by MagicMountainFan » 15 Jul 2014, 03:23

Can't believe this happened at my home park. Hopefully this gives Six Flags a reason to take down Ninja and finally give us that long awaited third generation S&S 4th Dimension Coaster in it's place.
Top 10 rollercoasters 1: X2 2: Maverick 3: Leviathan 4: Millennium Force 5: Top Thrill Dragster 6: Rip Ride Rockit 7: Sheikra 8: Tatsu 9: Behemoth 10: Manta

2012 ride count -Leviathan:68 Behemoth:29 Vortex:12

CoasterGeek64
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by CoasterGeek64 » 23 Jul 2014, 10:00

MagicMountainFan wrote:Can't believe this happened at my home park. Hopefully this gives Six Flags a reason to take down Ninja and finally give us that long awaited third generation S&S 4th Dimension Coaster in it's place.
Don't they already have a 4D coaster at Magic Mountain?
Jinkies!!

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 23 Jul 2014, 13:05

CoasterGeek64 wrote:
MagicMountainFan wrote:Can't believe this happened at my home park. Hopefully this gives Six Flags a reason to take down Ninja and finally give us that long awaited third generation S&S 4th Dimension Coaster in it's place.
Don't they already have a 4D coaster at Magic Mountain?
Yes they do X2 (formerly X). It's an Arrow Dynamic 4D coaster. It was the only one Arrow had built before S&S took over. But I'm guessing the third generation is different than previous models of the 4D coaster. 8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by xlcanada » 23 Jul 2014, 22:44

What about Green Lantern? Isn't that a newer Gen model?

I had a scary experience on the Green Lantern two years ago when my restraints were loosened after the attendant checked my seat. Not sure if it was normal but I pulled down onto my restraint to make it tighter. After hearing about the Gröna Lund accident, I'm going to think twice about riding Lantern again. It's a really intense coaster (I saw stars in my eyes)!
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 24 Jul 2014, 08:01

xlcanada wrote:What about Green Lantern? Isn't that a newer Gen model?

I had a scary experience on the Green Lantern two years ago when my restraints were loosened after the attendant checked my seat. Not sure if it was normal but I pulled down onto my restraint to make it tighter. After hearing about the Gröna Lund accident, I'm going to think twice about riding Lantern again. It's a really intense coaster (I saw stars in my eyes)!
Green Lantern is a 4-D coaster too, but made by Intamin and not by S&S.I read about the Gröna Lund accident somewhere. I've never been on an Intamin Zacspin before but the restraint design doesn't look the best for safety in my opinion. There's even a redundant belt if the restraint opens, but by the sounds of things that doesn't even help in some cases. This just happened recently this July on an Intamin Zacspin,http://themeparkinvestigator.com/news-t ... -one-week/. I think Intamin is well known for their restraint designs in many ways. I think Intamin should redesign some of their restraints for some of the rides as some incidents in the past had occurred. I know Intamin is really safe but it just seems that incidents tend to occur more often on their rides. Maybe park maintenance has an affect on this. I enjoy Intamin rides but it puzzles me why they seem to run into trouble at many amusement parks. :hmm:
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

greghill
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by greghill » 24 Jul 2014, 09:11

The accident on a Zacspin was at Terra Mitica in spain, not Grona Lund

news article
Translated from Finnish via Google translate:
Amusement park to open last week as a precaution to close the pavilion, roller coaster next week.

A similar device, Spain death occurred on Monday, July 7.

Linnanmaki on Wednesday, the pavilion received from the manufacturer, Intamin Amusement Ridesilta information that the accident was probably due to a Spanish amusement park to do with changes in the unit's safety barrier systems. Did not have a device approved by the manufacturer.

The equipment manufacturer of the pavilion and its sister devices are completely safe in all respects, the equipment should be serviced and inspected in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Linnanmaki assure that the recommendations are always followed.

Linnanmaki still renew all of the pavilion seats. The new seats are to be installed over the weekend.

All the rides and their safety is checked on a daily basis Linnanmaki
It appears that the park modified the restraints, without consulting Intamin on the modifications. Bad plan on their part.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 24 Jul 2014, 12:52

greghill, I was just agreeing with xlcanada on the accident at Grona Lund because I had never heard about that one, but I did hear about the accident at Terra Mitica because I have a link that leads to an article on themeparkinvestigator.com. The exact link for that article is on my previous post. There may have been a concern with Insane at Grona Lund but I'm not too sure. It's kind of strange when amusement parks modify rides when they work perfectly fine in the first place.
...Hopefully this gives Six Flags a reason to take down Ninja...
MagicMountainFan, I doubt Six Flags will get rid of Ninja because it is too popular and rare to see. I also don't think Six Flags Magic Mountain needs another 4-D coaster as they have two already. I think if Ninja does get removed they would replace it with a water ride or a couple of flats possibly. It seems as if Six Flags Magic Mountain doesn't need another coaster because it appears they have every roller coaster design, but they don't obviously. 8)

greghill
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by greghill » 24 Jul 2014, 14:03

There was no issues at Grona Lund, just all of the zacspins got closed after the one accident in Spain for fear of a design flaw. They have all reopened since.

Qdriver
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Qdriver » 09 Sep 2014, 15:56

Just saw the terrible news. The park was closed and thankfully no one was hurt. Looks as though it was started by a welder and the top of the lift hill had collapsed under the damage. Really too bad to see something like this to such an iconic coaster.
GO LEAFS GO!!!

Qdriver
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Colossus Fire

Post by Qdriver » 09 Sep 2014, 16:18

GO LEAFS GO!!!

RealisticTrain
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by RealisticTrain » 09 Sep 2014, 16:32

I've heard from a friend that a few weeks ago there was a fire at Minebuster... Glad that didn't turn out like this did. Look on the bright side, they now have a new jump element!

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 09 Sep 2014, 18:59

RealisticTrain wrote:I've heard from a friend that a few weeks ago there was a fire at Minebuster... Glad that didn't turn out like this did. Look on the bright side, they now have a new jump element!

That is one large American flag atop the observation tower.

ThrillFan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by ThrillFan » 10 Sep 2014, 01:43

Sooo..... I'm guessing no one is on board with just rebranding it as the "Evel Knievel"... ?