California's Great America - Santa Clara, CA

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 15 Sep 2013, 17:40

With California's Great America finishing its first year with Gold Striker it kind of gets you thinking what coaster CGA will get next. It's interesting because they already have a hard time with getting big coasters at the park. I kinda like to see them get a B&M hyper-coaster however that probably won't go well with it's neighbors. I can see them getting something like a launched coaster (maybe on Invertigo's old spot).

Any Ideas?

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: CGA's next coaster

Post by bratman » 15 Sep 2013, 18:23

That is a park with a lot of potential. They are a little landlocked, but I could see a hyper going in behind Grizzly and Demon. They should not need worry about noise - a stadium just got built next door.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 510 (steel 400, wood 110)

loop-de-loop
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by loop-de-loop » 16 Sep 2013, 16:09

I could see them building a B&M hyper too. If they built it on the other side of the park from Gold Striker (near Flight Deck's helix), they shouldn't have to worry about noise, as Gold Striker's problems are because it is right beside some office buildings.

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 17 Sep 2013, 19:41

A B&M hypercoaster by Flight Decks helix would be a good idea. The office buildings wouldn't be complaining and also they could have a good opportunity to have a splashdown on it as the helix is surrounded by water.

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 06 May 2015, 13:04

Hey sorry about the double post but I recently learned that Six Flags Discovery Kingdom cannot build rides taller than 150ft. If this is the case a hypercoaster at CGA would most likely be the biggest, tallest, fastest and longest coaster in Northern California. Just something to think about.

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 19 Jun 2015, 16:57

Was just on Screamscape and found out that Vortex at California's Great America might get turned into a B&M floorless coaster for 2016. Looks like Cedar Fair is phasing out stand up coasters.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: CGA's Vortex to turn into a floorless coaster?

Post by Johnlloyd » 20 Jun 2015, 10:08

canadaswonderlandguy wrote:Was just on Screamscape and found out that Vortex at California's Great America might get turned into a B&M floorless coaster for 2016. Looks like Cedar Fair is phasing out stand up coasters.
Yeah, I saw that too. It's a shame that Cedar Fair is phasing out stand-up coasters because personally I find them really fun. But, I knew this was going to happen eventually when Cedar Point had announced that Mantis was going to be converted to a floorless and when Canada's Wonderland had announced that SkyRider was being removed from the park. It will only be in a matter of time when Vortex at Carowinds gets converted and Shockwave at Kings Dominion gets removed. Hopefully Shockwave sees the same fate a SkyRider has, because it would be a shame to loose another TOGO stand-up coaster or any TOGO coaster. Hopefully Freestyle at Cavallino Matto is very successful so, that way more European parks will be interested in Stand-up coasters. 8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: California's Great America - Santa Clara, CA

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 18 Sep 2015, 12:55

According to Screamscape it seems that Vortex's conversion to a floorless coaster will not take place until 2017.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 29 Sep 2015, 21:11

A new "Holographic" 4-D experience will be coming to California's Great America in 2016. The existing Action Theater, currently showing "Mumble's Wild Ride" will be renovated to accommodate the new Mass Effect video game series simulation. In order for this attraction to happen, California's Great America will be partnering up with BioWare and EA Games, the current publisher of the Mass Effect game series. This will be a first-of-a-kind experience with 3-D visuals and motion seating. So, it seems that motion seating will be making a return to Action Theater at CGA after a long absence. For more details about the new attraction coming to California's Great America for 2016, check out Newsplusnotes for more details! 8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 29 Sep 2015, 21:24

There should be an ID check for that, because it would obviously contain content not suitable to those under the age of seventeen years per the ESRB (though there has been precedence for various Halloween Haunt shows).

CoasterGeek64
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by CoasterGeek64 » 29 Sep 2015, 23:02

Johnlloyd wrote:A new "Holographic" 4-D experience will be coming to California's Great America in 2016. The existing Action Theater, currently showing "Mumble's Wild Ride" will be renovated to accommodate the new Mass Effect video game series simulation. In order for this attraction to happen, California's Great America will be partnering up with BioWare and EA Games, the current publisher of the Mass Effect game series. This will be a first-of-a-kind experience with 3-D visuals and motion seating. So, it seems that motion seating will be making a return to Action Theater at CGA after a long absence. For more details about the new attraction coming to California's Great America for 2016, check out Newsplusnotes for more details! 8)
I've never played any of the Mass Effect games, but that sounds like an awesome idea!
Jinkies!!

miller240
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by miller240 » 30 Sep 2015, 07:15

This gives me hope for the future of wonderlands action theater. I'm sure triotech could find something to do with it that's better than a dinosaur movie

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 30 Sep 2015, 08:13

There should be an ID check for that, because it would obviously contain content not suitable to those under the age of seventeen years per the ESRB
I'm not familiar with the game series myself but, I'm quite sure California's Great America would make it appropriate for all age levels in order for it to be at the park. I've never heard of any "adult" only content at Cedar Fair's parks other than some swim-up bars at certain water parks throughout the Cedar Fair chain but, that's only because there is alcohol involved. I'm quite sure they're going to make this 4-D simulation suitable for all age groups.
This gives me hope for the future of wonderlands action theater. I'm sure triotech could find something to do with it that's better than a dinosaur movie
It will also give hope for the return of the motion seating that was removed years ago. 8)

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 30 Sep 2015, 10:52

Johnlloyd wrote:
It will also give hope for the return of the motion seating that was removed years ago. 8)
It's my understanding that California's Great America never removed the motion seats from their Action Theatre, so don't get your hopes up too high. I'm sure Wonderland will continue to repurpose the theatre as needed over the next few years in one way or another, though.

Still very interesting news. I wonder if Carowinds second announcement for 2016 will be something similar but based on Plants vs. Zombies? Of course, they don't have the motion seats either...
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

bratman
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by bratman » 03 Oct 2015, 09:20

They never removed their motion seats - I was there in 2014 for Coaster Con and I took in the Spongebob attraction in that theatre.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 510 (steel 400, wood 110)