Kings Dominion - Doswell, VA

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 30 Oct 2013, 21:25

Not sure if anybody has heard the news yet but the new Miners Revenge maze at Kings Dominion for Halloween Haunt turned out to be a "disaster maze". This is because people got offended by the plot of the maze due to other mine disasters that happened. The opposition was so high that Kings Dominion just announced that Miner's Revenge will not return in 2014. This is interesting as when Miner's Revenge was at Canada's Wonderland nobody got offended and nobody complained about the plot. :hmm:

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Miners Revenge at Kings Dominion

Post by Johnny Au » 30 Oct 2013, 22:10

What do you expect?

Virginia is on the southern side of the Mason-Dixon line and Virginia has many mines (particularly coal mines).

If Ontario had many real life mining disasters, then it would be a different story.

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Miners Revenge at Kings Dominion

Post by Honorarius » 31 Oct 2013, 09:55

canadaswonderlandguy wrote:Not sure if anybody has heard the news yet but the new Miners Revenge maze at Kings Dominion for Halloween Haunt turned out to be a "disaster maze". This is because people got offended by the plot of the maze due to other mine disasters that happened. The opposition was so high that Kings Dominion just announced that Miner's Revenge will not return in 2014. This is interesting as when Miner's Revenge was at Canada's Wonderland nobody got offended and nobody complained about the plot. :hmm:
I'm actually surprised they didn't see that coming... Coal is big business in those parts...

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 11 Jan 2014, 15:28

Kings Dominion is really getting all sorts of transformations and updates that are new and also from the past to open the 2014 season. They are even having some sections of the park renamed to their original names. Check out all the action happening at Kings Dominion for their 40th anniversary.
https://www.kingsdominion.com/celebrati ... s#panel1-5
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

loop-de-loop
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Kings Dominion: 40 Years of Thrills

Post by loop-de-loop » 14 Jan 2014, 20:07

I could see CW brining back Frontier Canada, and I hope they do.

canadaswonderlandguy
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by canadaswonderlandguy » 14 Jan 2014, 22:32

loop-de-loop wrote:I could see CW brining back Frontier Canada, and I hope they do.
They should do that. Maybe perhaps retheme the White Water Canyon area to " Frontier Canada"?

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 15 Jan 2014, 15:38

canadaswonderlandguy wrote:
loop-de-loop wrote:I could see CW brining back Frontier Canada, and I hope they do.
They should do that. Maybe perhaps retheme the White Water Canyon area to " Frontier Canada"?
If so, then Launch Pad needs to be brought inside Kidzville.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 16 Jan 2014, 16:46

Frontier Canada was just an idea that never happened. It never actually existed as a section of the park. That's when they called it White Water Canyon in 1984. Also according to the maps I have that from 1981 to 1984 there is no mention of Frontier Canada. It is only mentioned on the detailed souvenir map that is from 1981. But after that (which I am quite sure of) Frontier Canada section of the park was abandoned.
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

HAUNT MANIAC
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by HAUNT MANIAC » 16 Jan 2014, 17:34

Frontier Canada was going to be much different than what is in that area now. There was to be a train ride, a western town with a shootout show among other "canadiana". No waterpark, no Behemoth. If you ever get a chance to go into Human Resources, there is a framed drawing on the wall of what the original park was going to look like. Unfortunately, I think it is much too late to build something like that now.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 16 Jan 2014, 19:20

HAUNT MANIAC wrote:Frontier Canada was going to be much different than what is in that area now. There was to be a train ride, a western town with a shootout show among other "canadiana". No waterpark, no Behemoth. If you ever get a chance to go into Human Resources, there is a framed drawing on the wall of what the original park was going to look like. Unfortunately, I think it is much too late to build something like that now.
I think it was a good decision that the park was built like it is today. Canada's Wonderland may have become less popular in my opinion from seeing other amusement parks that were western themed. White Water Canyon is Canadian Themed because of all the rivers in Canada. You can technically still make Frontier Canada if you want to destroy the park. :lol: But I really like Splashworks and Action Zone! 8)

HAUNT MANIAC
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by HAUNT MANIAC » 17 Jan 2014, 16:46

Very much in agreement, John. Although, I would still like to see a train put in Wonderland to save some walking, I truly believe if they actually built Frontier Canada that Paramount or Cedar Fair probably would have rethemed it by now anyways. Original plans were to have a restaurant inside the mountain as well. With Guardian in there now, we can kiss the restaurant idea goodbye.

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 17 Jan 2014, 22:26

Frontier Canada would be a great addition to the park's already outstanding variety of areas, but it might be hard to maintain that theme as new attractions are added. Ziz, for example (it's gonna happen!). Still, White Water Canyon is hardly an 'area' as it stands and could definitely use some additions (lots of space behind WWC and AT), but that also means it would be easier to re-theme. White Water Canyon, Mighty Canadian Minebuster, and Timberwolf Falls remain, Action Theatre re-themed/removed. SkyRider re-themed(/replaced). Launch Pad... I don't know what to do with that... But that's about it! Maybe one day they'll make this a reality!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by Johnlloyd » 18 Jan 2014, 12:09

HAUNT MANIAC wrote:Very much in agreement, John. Although, I would still like to see a train put in Wonderland to save some walking, I truly believe if they actually built Frontier Canada that Paramount or Cedar Fair probably would have rethemed it by now anyways. Original plans were to have a restaurant inside the mountain as well. With Guardian in there now, we can kiss the restaurant idea goodbye.
I agree that a train would be nice because Canada's Wonderland is quite massive. But I really don't see how Canada's Wonderland could add a train now unless they remove some of the rides and attractions. Also a restaurant inside the mountain would've been cool. But I think it would be better if they could have put one on top of the mountain but, I guess that wouldn't work now either.
Frontier Canada would be a great addition to the park's already outstanding variety of areas, but it might be hard to maintain that theme as new attractions are added. Ziz, for example (it's gonna happen!). Still, White Water Canyon is hardly an 'area' as it stands and could definitely use some additions (lots of space behind WWC and AT), but that also means it would be easier to re-theme. White Water Canyon, Mighty Canadian Minebuster, and Timberwolf Falls remain, Action Theatre re-themed/removed. SkyRider re-themed(/replaced). Launch Pad... I don't know what to do with that... But that's about it! Maybe one day they'll make this a reality!
Yes,It would be hard to maintain a western themed area such as Frontier Canada when you add new rides to the section. Yes there is a lot of land behind White Water Canyon and Action Theatre but it would destroy the scenery as you would have to remove trees. I like the Forested area. It gives Canada's Wonderland a sense of privacy while going along the 400. :lol:

HAUNT MANIAC
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by HAUNT MANIAC » 19 Jan 2014, 16:32

I don't think it would be that hard to put in a train. Just build it around the perimeter of the park, not actually around any attractions. Front gate would be a little tricky, but there could be a station near action zone, splashworks, planet snoopy, and maybe somewhere near Leviathan. Here's a quiz . . . only one attraction is outside the perimeter of the railroad tracks at the Magic Kingdom . . . do you know which one?

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Post by xlcanada » 19 Jan 2014, 17:27

^ Space Mountain?
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.