Cedar Fair - General Discussion

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
CedarFair
CWManiac
CWManiac

Cedar Fair - General Discussion

Postby CedarFair » 04 Aug 2015, 14:57

Conference Call Information

~Wifi will be coming to the 5 largest parks in 2016, Infrastructure will be the main focus of Cedar Fair.

~California's Great America is really impressing Cedar Fair and they will be focusing investments on this park. The are going through a rezoning process to invest capital in this park.

~A virtual reality will be tested on an existing coaster in 2016. This is a test to see if they can make an older coaster better without building a 30 million dollar coaster.

~Highest season pass sales this year ever in history for Cedar Fair along with highest in park spending.

~The "detererating" canadian dollar is negatively impacting business to the north and they expect this to be the case for the remainder of the season. However, The Canadian property is doing very well despite the dollar and the company is taking measure to counteract this

~BBQ & Brew and food trucks has been a major success for the chain,and they are looking to improve them and expand them. As I said before expect to see Brew and BBQ in 2016 at Canada's Wonderland.

~Parks, plural will be announcing their attractions in the weeks to come, but the chain is working on making their parks a place to come have fun and not be all about coasters.

kunpc1

Re: Cedar Fair Second Quarter Results Conference Call

Postby kunpc1 » 04 Aug 2015, 20:45

I really hope we don't see any "virtual reality" added to any of our coasters. I visit amusement parks to ride coasters & thrill rides to get away from that type of thing! I want to just enjoy the coaster for what it is. I also don't want to have to wear any head-gear that thousands of other guests have worn that same day... 3D glasses are bad enough (how often do people complain about those not being clean?).

I would also disagree with a "deteriorating Canadian dollar is negatively impacting business to the north". The lower Canadian dollar negatively impacts how much Cedar Fair is profiting from Wonderland as they have to convert CDN to USD (losing 25% in the exchange). However, the low Canadian dollar may actually be HELPING Wonderland as more people may choose a staycation with a local visit instead of traveling to the US. Wonderland may be set to hit a new attendance record in 2015 and spending is very strong.

And just remember, Behemoth was constructed in 2007 when the Canadian dollar wasn't much higher than we are right now. So just because the dollar is weak, doesn't mean we won't get a big coaster (even though we're not getting one in 2016).

* correction - Canadian dollar was around $.90 compared to USD mid 2007
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

CedarFair
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby CedarFair » 04 Aug 2015, 20:49

They actually touched on what you said exactly. They lost roughly 15 million dollars in exchanges in the second quarter but Wonderland is seeing a huge attendance spike especially in July as they touched on July even though thats Q3.

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » 04 Aug 2015, 22:09

Technology and Infrastructure? Maybe we will actually see Fast Pay at more parks as well! I would love to see that, but I don't know how likely that is.

Great to hear Wonderland is doing very well this year, though not at all surprising!

I'm not quite sure how this VR coaster thing is supposed to work. They are going to have something you wear on the coaster? I imagine many people getting sick on rides like this, and I will not be participating in anything of the sort. I really think it would make me ill, and I've never been sick on a ride before!

Also, kunpc1, Behemoth was built in 2007, not 2005. The exchange rate in 2007 was not nearly as bad as it is now, as we actually had a stronger dollar for part of that year.

Also, what measures can they take to counteract the effects of the exchange rate?
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

kunpc1

Postby kunpc1 » 04 Aug 2015, 22:24

Whoops, typo. Fixed. And looking up the dollar's value in mid 2007 shows high 80's - low 90's. So about 15 cents stronger than we are today.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

Dom497
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Dom497 » 04 Aug 2015, 22:59

Don't worry about the VR coming to Wonderland, it's going to Cedar Point and the test coaster will be the Dive Coaster.

The app already leaked: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca http://www.appjenny.com/Android/App/191 ... darPointVR

xlcanada
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby xlcanada » 05 Aug 2015, 00:58

^I guess they will use this technology if they are going through the mobile route?

http://www.vrcoaster.com/

I really thought CW will get the VR ride as I thought Thunder Run would make a pretty good candidate for this technology. A family ride that is smooth and doesn't have sudden drops.
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

Qdriver
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Qdriver » 05 Aug 2015, 05:16

Well I already put this on the other thread over there but might as well voice my fear and disappointment here too.

I can understand the business sense of reducing capital but a complete refocus having to do less with new coasters and rides is fearfully unfortunate in my mind and one that could ultimately end up loosing grasp of junkies like myself. I know one or two of you have already said this above me. The ONLY reason I go to Canada's Wonderland, CP, and everywhere else is to ride Coasters and Flat Rides!!..that's it!!..nothing else!! No Tech, no video games, and I definitely not just to cover my face with some gimmicky VR.

Some might say that a few of us are old fashioned, and don't really know what this kind of technology can bring to the table. Well for me I do have say that I'm well aquianted with virtual reality and in my line of work undergo intensive full motion VR based operations at least twice a year. I can also say without hesitation that it's never ever as good as the real thing!!

cedarpointfan1

Postby cedarpointfan1 » 05 Aug 2015, 12:25

And imagine the capacity issues any coaster that gets the VR technology will have...if humans have a hard time with a simple seatbelt just imagine how hard of a time they will have with a helmet :tease:

And with the emphasis on technology maybe we will finally get a webcam or two placed in the park...would be nice to view a webcam to see how busy the park is.
Leviathan Ride Count...244
Coaster Count.........187

HAUNT MANIAC
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby HAUNT MANIAC » 05 Aug 2015, 17:47

It's not only going to be the VR helmets that will delay loading, it's the hair nets too, like on the go-carts. Wait! They are going to have hair nets, right? No hair nets? ewwwww! :tease:

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » 05 Aug 2015, 23:15

It is not a helmet you wear from what I understand and will not be mandatory. It seems like you will be able to download the VR experience onto a virtual reality device such as the Oculous Rift that you already own, or be able to rent one for the day from the park. Essentially, it's an up-charge to get a different experience on an existing coaster. It may also be able to be downloaded onto a smart phone (of your own) that you can attach to a head mount (that you may rent/buy) to be worn in front of your eyes on the ride. That's what the website and app store seems to suggest anyway.
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

CoasterGeek64
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby CoasterGeek64 » 06 Aug 2015, 01:15

Ty-rant_13 wrote:It is not a helmet you wear from what I understand and will not be mandatory. It seems like you will be able to download the VR experience onto a virtual reality device such as the Oculous Rift that you already own, or be able to rent one for the day from the park. Essentially, it's an up-charge to get a different experience on an existing coaster. It may also be able to be downloaded onto a smart phone (of your own) that you can attach to a head mount (that you may rent/buy) to be worn in front of your eyes on the ride. That's what the website and app store seems to suggest anyway.

I don't know. VR on a roller coaster still seems like it would ruin the experience though. I mean, it's one thing to have VR headsets for things like video games, but roller coasters? Sure, it might add a different experience I suppose, but as Qdriver said, it's not the same as the real thing. It does seem like an interesting idea, but I just can't see it working in reality (especially with the aforementioned loading and unloading problems).
Jinkies!!

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » 06 Aug 2015, 03:39

Oh, I completely agree! It's certainly not something I would use as I would almost definitely get sick. With my body moving one way and my eyes being drawn in all directions, I sense it would be worse than some of the 3D games that have made me feel nauseated in the past. However, I don't see how something guests choose to use with their own devices would hurt loading and unloading times. I only see it hurting capacity when they have to constantly clean the coaster after guests get sick. However, I don't know how well people will be able to sync the device to the coaster... That could potentially hurt loading and unloading times, but more likely people will just be upset about it "not working" (when it's actually their own fault).
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

HAUNT MANIAC
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby HAUNT MANIAC » 06 Aug 2015, 16:17

Wait a second. I'm going to change my opinion on this. I actually think this might be really cool! For those of you who don't have a Nintendo3DS, there is an app on it called AR, or augmented reality. It has an OPTION to be 3D, but it is not manditory and today's phones don't have 3D capabilities, so 3D would not be an issue, hence getting sick would not be an issue. How augmented reality works is you use the existing camera on your device so basically, you are seeing everything as you normally would, however, the app can add whatever is needed, like characters, doors to open, lightning bolts, it could turn day into night, and this could all be done while riding a coaster for sure. It wouldn't have to be a game or shooting game, but just something to add to the coaster experience. Imagine a dragon popping out of the lake while riding Vortex. Imagine pteradactyls flying over Behemoth, imagine being eaten by a huge Leviathan, on Leviathan. They could break the coaster track, they could seriously put in a jump in the track! It could be totally different every time you ride! The possibilities are endless and, done right, could be a really cool theme park industry changer. Disney and Universal don't have anything close to this!

Qdriver
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Qdriver » 06 Aug 2015, 18:34

Like the others are saying in this thread I believe these types of systems will be nothing but trouble and bring delays and headaches especially at the start, and I personally can do without it. I consider myself to be a roller coaster enthusiast at heart and I don't want to go on a ride just to cover my eyes with some fantasy or false reality. I want to see and experience the ride for what it is.

But with that said It's not a question or issue of who or how many people are going to like this kinda thing. I'd even probably try it at least once like I did with WMG and that would be enough for me. What's worrying for me is they're changing their direction leaning towards stuff like this instead of new rides and coasters. At least that's the way I read it and maybe I'm wrong. I certainly hope so and hope somebody can correct me to make me feel better.

So it seems the question that you have ask is wether you prefer this VR mumbo-jumbo on our exsisting rides or prefer a coaster or ride that is among the biggest and/ or newest out there.

Return to “Other Amusement Parks”