SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment - General Discussion

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
kunpc1
Dedicated CWManiac
Dedicated CWManiac

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment - General Discussion

Post by kunpc1 » 08 Aug 2015, 16:27

Discuss anything SeaWorld / Busch Gardens related (not park-specific). This can include industry news, chain-wide events and conference calls/shareholder updates.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment - General Discussion

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 18 Mar 2016, 11:46

SeaWorld Parks are phasing out their hugely popular (and hugely controversial) Orcas (Killer whales). They have just ended their breeding programs and stopped taking whales from the wild nearly forty years ago, so the whales they currently have will be the last.

The traditional theatrical shows featuring Orcas will end starting next year (2017) and by 2019 will not be present at any SeaWorld parks. The focus will be shifted to educating guests and showing the remaining whales in more "natural encounters."

News Plus Notes has this article on the announcement: http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.ca/2016/0 ... -from.html

More information can be found on SeaWorld's official site here: https://seaworldcares.com/Future

This is rather similar to what's happening at Marineland, however it is a choice for SeaWorld, not a proposed law. It is quite a drastic move for the SeaWorld parks, but seems to be a very good long-term decision. By focussing on caring for the animals rather than showcasing them, they have the support of the Humane Society, and can focus on growing their other less controversial attractions.
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment - General Discussion

Post by Johnny Au » 18 Mar 2016, 13:37

Perhaps SeaWorld is doing this to prevent legislators from forcing their hand and it is a good move regardless. It is a win-win for both SeaWorld and for animal rights activists.