Best way to read the forums

Discuss CWMania here. Suggestions, comments and concerns are always welcome. If you feel that your comments are not appropriate for public viewing please private message any moderator.
ThrillFan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Best way to read the forums

Postby ThrillFan » 05 Sep 2014, 13:20

I have found reading messages on here (phpBB) to be a little clunky, and I can't help think that I am not using the board properly and am doing things in a more complicated way than necessary.

I have used many different online forums, message boards, and bulletin board systems; and typically there is a feature that goes from the topic you've finished reading, right to the next unread post. I haven't been able to find that feature here. Is there a way to do this that I've overlooked?

Typically I click [FORUMS] at the top, and click [View Unread Posts] on the top right under the button bar. I then click the View first unread post icon (Image) on the first post -- which jumps to the first unread post. I read the full thread (and reply if applicable). When I'm done reading the thread, I tend to click [FORUMS] at the top again, and repeat the whole process.

Sometimes, if there are a lot of new posts on a variety of topics, once I get the list of unread posts I will right-click on the View first unread post icon (Image) and open it as a background tab, and do this for a number of the topics, just to minimize the number of times I need to click back and forth between [FORUMS] and [View Unread Posts].

It gets the job done -- it just seems more complicated and more manual than it should be. I keep thinking that there has to be an easier way. What am I missing?

DantheMan
Admin
Admin

Re: Best way to read the forums

Postby DantheMan » 06 Sep 2014, 23:49

You're no missing anything...you pretty much summed up the process.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Site Talk”